TR3A Valve guide

Does anyone know  how much valve guide should be showing above the cylinder head on a TR3a engine 

Kind regards

Steve

P.S I'm putting together a vent lid rebuild kit which is all stainless steel   if there is any interest i will makes some up  they are identical to the original item 

just in stainless steel

Apparently this is not listed in the TR2-3 Factory Service manual but the TR4 manual says "Valve guide protrusion above the top face of the cylinder head - 0.78 in (19.84 mm)." Mine varied from 19.64 to 19.73 mm. I'm not sure what the top face refers to and I measured mine to the surface next to the guide, which is a cast and not a machined surface so it does not seem that they were looking for precision.

Tom

1 hour ago, TomMull said:

Apparently this is not listed in the TR2-3 Factory Service manual but the TR4 manual says "Valve guide protrusion above the top face of the cylinder head - 0.78 in (19.84 mm)." Mine varied from 19.64 to 19.73 mm. I'm not sure what the top face refers to and I measured mine to the surface next to the guide, which is a cast and not a machined surface so it does not seem that they were looking for precision.

Tom

Is it not machined where the spring seats? Mr Haynes states measure the height of the guide from the spring seat before removal and insert the new guide to the same depth, but in the specs quotes 0.780 for the TR4, but nothing for the TR3.

Ralph

15 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Is it not machined where the spring seats? Mr Haynes states measure the height of the guide from the spring seat before removal and insert the new guide to the same depth, but in the specs quotes 0.780 for the TR4, but nothing for the TR3.

Ralph

You are right Ralph, on closer inspection and cleaning of my ancient head, that spring seat does seem to be a machined surface. Tom

5 hours ago, Lebro said:

Is it not more important to position the guide to be flush with the wall of the inlet / exhaust ports.

Bob.

I suspect there is a maximum allowable to ensure no clash with the valve stem collets or cap, one can then grind away the excess as required in the ports for gas flow..

Ralph.

While the exhaust guides are pretty much flush on the inside of the port, the intake comes through at a considerable slope in the port and protrudes more than a quarter inch on one side. Best to use the tops as reference as the TR4 manual indicates, imo.

Tom