Tr4a light switch

Hi I've got Tr4a 65 in reconstruction it has main beam dip button on floor happy with that. Light switch on column was missing so I've just purchased new old stock steering column switch that clicks up and down once (side lights?) should I have on off switch on dash, not really sure what setup for this 4a is. 

Thanks Phil 

If you only have two positions thats a late TR6 dipswitch, original 4a light switch is three position, 1 off, 2 side, 3 head.

Stuart.

My 4A (originally left hand drive) has 3 switches on the column.

On the right is the light switch with 3 positions. Up = off, 1st position down = sidelights, fully down = headlights. The reply above has the switch on upside down I think.

Also on the right is the overdrive switch. Down = on and up = off

On the left is the indicator switch. Centre = off, up = right indicators, down = left indicators.

Note that LHD and RHD cars have indicators and lights on opposite sides of the column. There is a circlip on the column that you can see if you remove the 2 plastic cowls from around the switches (screws at top and bottom). This circlip has a raised blip that cancels the indicators. It can be moved so it points to the left or the right by swivelling it around. The blip points towards the indicator switch.

Because you can have indicators and light switches on either side of the column then you will see different cars with different arrangements depending on their history. I have had my car for 30 years and have got used to the arrangement on mine so don't plan to change it. Can't remember without some research which side is which for LHD vs RHD but my car has been both. Unless you especially want to have the switch positions correct then just do what you are comfortable with.

Hope this helps

Keith

Now I'm confused :mellow:...

My switch which I thought was original 4A is fitted on RH side and works as I said, if it was upside down I would have to push for 'flash' and the form on the plastic end would be the wrong way round compared to the other switches.  

The TR4A driver’s Handbook shows, for a Right hand drive car, that the indicator switch is located on the right hand side of the steering column and, if the car has overdrive, the switch for it is located on the right hand side as well. The light switch is located on the left hand side of the steering column. The switch in most upward position- lights off, first position down - side lights and bottom position is headlights.

JPMF  whilst the switch positions would be reversed, it would still be push for flash and the form of the end would still be same as if the switch had been located on the left hand side and the arm facing the right way, towards the driver.

I think jpmf might have a LHD light switch fitted to RHS. If you think upside down then if switch was on left side then you would switch downwards for sides then headlights and flasher and plastic end would be ok as well.

Don't think my switch has a flasher. Will have to reconnect battery and give it a go.

Keith

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Does the pic below look correct?  On the indicator side the wiring is protected but not on the lighting side, so wiring will be rubbed Bt steering rod when installed.

I’m wondering if something is missing on my light switch?

Please wait while image is uploading...

IMG_1513.jpeg

Edited by Steven Whitaker