Speed rating Tyres

I am also pondering new tyre choices as my tyres need replacing. Currently running 195/65 Pirellies which are very grippy but seem rather large on a TR6. Anyway as I am not about to blow a silly amount on tyres but equally don't want cheap tyres iether, I am contemplating dropping to 185 /65 or going for the Vredstien Ttrac 2 option.

Just found this review of them:

Vredestein T-Trac 2 is ranked #75 of 711 summer tyres based on the results of tests carried out by ADAC 2018 and other organizations. Vredestein T-Trac 2 belongs to the Premium segment. It is made in total of 18 sizes, 145/70 R13 being the smallest and 195/65 R15 the largest.

https://www.thetirelab.com/vredestein-t-trac-2/

Thanks for  sharing the link Stuart. Looking at 165's though its saying it doesn't have enough data and only lists Maxxis or Hankook. Hard to see what others they were tested against. My car also has 195's which I think are to wide. Seems a few people on here that fit, and are quite happy with the Vredestein. I was thinking maybe the Continental CT22 might be better though being a leading brand what do you think? Your not going down the 'H' rated then? Its a minefield when you can't tell what your getting for your  money. I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds just for a classic tread pattern thats for sure. Do you have any TR6 driving friends? What do they use?

Regards Richard

On 2/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, saffrontr said:

Lets not forget that the original speed rating for the USA CC and CF series was SR

cheers

Derek

On 2/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, Bill944T said:

Not as fast as the PI CP ones!

Regards

Bill 

I must admit that if the only reason PI cars have 'H' rated tyres is the additional top speed over the CC and CF that are 'S' or 'T' rated then I tend to agree with you. However I haven't made my mind up yet. Regards Richard 

• 1 month later...

So after much deliberation I decided to change my 195/65 Pirellies for smaller 185/65 Avons.

The Pirellies were well past their use by date, 10 years old front 6 years old rear !

The new tyres are much easier on the arm twidling around roundabouts in particular and the car feels so much nicer to drive although no doubt a lot of that is due to the hardened old ones having lost any suppleness.

42 minutes ago, StuartG said:

So after much deliberation I decided to change my 195/65 Pirellies for smaller 185/65 Avons.

The Pirellies were well past their use by date, 10 years old front 6 years old rear !

The new tyres are much easier on the arm twidling around roundabouts in particular and the car feels so much nicer to drive although no doubt a lot of that is due to the hardened old ones having lost any suppleness.

What make of Avon`s Stuart?

Colin.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:21 PM, Richmac said:

I must admit that if the only reason PI cars have 'H' rated tyres is the additional top speed over the CC and CF that are 'S' or 'T' rated then I tend to agree with you. However I haven't made my mind up yet. Regards Richard 

That's OK until you have a bang and the insurance accessor spots that the correct speed rating tyres were not fitted and then you are advised they will not pay out. It then works out to have  been a very expensive mistake!!!

Bruce.

I still fail to understand the speed rating. From what I can make of it its about the heat generated but I noticed my brothers VW Transporter van has 'C' rated from new!!  Only 50mph? OK so he tells me its the speed limit of all commercials now but even so a van travelling up the motorway at 50mph with a ton of bricks in the back? No heat??

VW Transporter van has 'C' rated from new!!  Only 50mph?

I think you'll find the C designates Commercial rather than speed!

Regards

Bill

+1  It will have a higher ply rating for load carrying.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

As its the only thing that keeps you on the road then why would you fit something that isnt specced for the purpose, That speed rating is there for a reason, its not only for straight line speed but also to cope with cornering forces etc,you will also notice a load index on the side of the tyre too, all these things contribute to your safety. OK you might say Im only going to do 70mph so why should I buy tyres that are rated to 130mph but dont forget the car you are driving has the power to get very close to that and the forces going through the tyre when you put your foot down are commensurate with it (Watch a clip using high speed film of a dragster rear tyre when the power is applied) hence why the car when new had the higher speed rating tyres fitted by the factory despite the fact that the limit on Motorways was 70MPH from 1967, you could still take it to Germany on holiday and thrash the arse off it on unlimited autobahns..

Stuart.

I have checked this out with my insurance company and they are OK with it. It is certainly valid to say that any deviation from standard spec (are any TRs still to standard spec, suspension, brakes, lights etc etc ?) Should be noted to your insurance company.

30 minutes ago, StuartG said:

I have checked this out with my insurance company and they are OK with it. It is certainly valid to say that any deviation from standard spec (are any TRs still to standard spec, suspension, brakes, lights etc etc ?) Should be noted to your insurance company.

They will say its OK until its not when an independent accident investigator points to the speed rating as a possible contributory factor in an accident and hangs you out to dry.

Stuart.

18 minutes ago, Richmac said:

Not with that wet grip rating. !!

8 hours ago, Richmac said:

The XAS is exempt from any labeling so you don't even know what the ratings are for those

They are listed on Michelin's own site as 82H (load and speed rating), also at Longstone tyres. Are you referring to when they originally came out in 1965? 

Gareth

XAS was and I'm certain still is, H rated, i.e. 130MPH.

As my TR4 only needs S rated tyres, I'm belt and braces with XAS's

Superb Tyre, used and stored properly, and whilst it strue they cost a lot of money, worth eveny penny - then some.

John.

My dad loved the XAS and used them extensively on his many Daimler SP250’s his first being in 1964.

as a PR man he was involved in their launch to the uk market in 1965 (iirc) I think part of this was a journalist/ supplier track day I think at brands. 
it was a cold frosty day and the Michelin management were concerned that this would affect the road test reports. And knowing dad had raced cars asked him to check out the track conditions . He said he “negotiated” a set of xas for his sp250 and went on track to defrost the racing line for a great number of laps which had people queuing for a passenger rides.

a family pic 50 years of SP250 their is still on on axles stands in mums garage !

D3EE9777-2660-4DDB-802C-CCD1B575282B.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

The XAS is exempt from any labeling so you don't even know what the ratings are for those

They are listed on Michelin's own site as 82H (load and speed rating)

Richard is of course referring to the alphabetic ratings for economy/wet grip/noise, since Hamish mentioned the (rather low) wet-grip one for the Yokohamas in his post above. Neither the XAS nor the Vredestein Classic have those ratings quoted on that website.  

Whats going on?  Looks like the venerable and brilliant Michelin 165 HR15 XAS is no longer being produced ? It would appear that to cater more for the Porsche 912 and 911 market the current model is an XAS 165 VR 15 ?

Even if you wanted a set of 165 HR 15 CN36 tyres these too are VR rated now?

This info was taken from the Longstone tyre website and must be correct as I have a friend who wanted a set of HR XAS for his concours TR6 and was informed that they were now VR or nowt?

Does everything have to be governed by the "last penny" policy or by the Moss "yes we have one of those, not quite right but close enough" attitude?

I am disappointed with this.

Alan G

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Richard is of course referring to the alphabetic ratings for economy/wet grip/noise, since Hamish mentioned the (rather low) wet-grip one for the Yokohamas in his post above. Neither the XAS nor the Vredestein Classic have those ratings quoted on that website.  

Thanks Rob

My insurance company agreed in writing that T would be acceptable with good quality tyres, after a discussion with the underwriters.  I am not insured for track use, don't drive the car hard & no intention of autobahn high speeds.  I note Stuart's comments, as the underwriters advised me to inspect the tyres periodically (as we should anyway) in case there was torque ware.