Speed rating Tyres

I apologise for using the 'T' word as I know there are many threads on the matter and its testing the patience of some on here. However I have searched here, on Google and looked in the manuals and can't find anywhere the definitive answer to the speed rating required for TR6 tyres. Can someone please point me to where I see for sure the speed rating required? Or were the cars just originally shod with 'H' Rated boots? And would this still be applicable 50 years on? It makes a quite a difference in price and therefore choice when searching for replacements. Took car for the first essential journey yesterday as it was mild and want to make a decision on my tyres ready for spring!!! 

Thanks in advance Richard 

hi Richard,

firstly no need to apologise, ask any question, someone will be able to help.

In 1970'2, speed ratings for radial car tyres were, SR, HR and VR.

SR up to 113 MPH,

HR up to 130 MPH, and

VR Over  130 MPH.

Now I'm sure speed ratings have evolved, but if I owned a TR6, I'd be sure to fit a tyre with a modern speed rating, pretty close to 130!

Others will contribute!

John.

I've got P7 Pirelli's with a V rating- but speed ratings are  pretty academic these days. Tyres with good handling and braking performance will have more speed capability than most of us can legally use-mine are rated for more than twice the Australian national maximum speed limit.

Im still surprised at people skimping on tyres when thats the only thing keeping your £25K plus car on the road.

Stuart.

Thanks Rob. I saw that in the manual but didn't know what the 'HR' stood for. Thank you John for clearing that up for me so clearly. 

Its not about skimping on tyres. Its more about getting value for money hence the postings. I want to learn from long term owners who have driven and used various types over the years or tyre experts who know the construction or how how the rating is worked out and applied. I am trying to learn the difference, or what more I am getting for paying £200 for a Michelin XAS over paying £70 for a Continental CT22 which is the two I am edging towards. Both quality manufacturers. The difference is the speed rating 'H' 130 mph as opposed to 'T' 118 mph. 12 miles per hour difference? I am trying to learn if paying over double is good use of my limited funds. I am not skimping and will pay whats necessary but I don't want to pay whats unnecessary. At the moment my car has 'v' Rated, 149 mph budget tyres manufactured in China. No offence to the Chinese but in my opinion thats skimping by the PO. Are they really better than a quality 'T' rated tyre? I'm afraid I can't see how but hoping to be educated on here. Interestingly I rang my insurance company today and they assured me that swapping to 'T' rated tyres will not affect my policy. Can anybody offer any guidance please?

Regards Richard

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Im still surprised at people skimping on tyres when thats the only thing keeping your £25K plus car on the road.

Stuart.

Agree with Stuart and wouldn’t go for a Chinese brand I’d never heard of like Joyroad or Sailwin tyres but things are never simple are they.

Strictly speaking our cars (top speed circa early 120’s, maybe but not mine, lol) should have H or above rated tyres.

But I wanted to stay on 165 tyres and try buying H rated 165s, really not much choice. Its ok if you fit 195 or above, plenty of choice and cheap as chips, like Avon ZT7’s, Uniroyal Rainexpert or Toyo Proxes all for early to mid £40’s each.

But an H rated 165 is a bit more. Ok for £100 each you can get a Retro branded tyre (who?) but if you prefer a name you might have heard of try around £180 for a Vredestein Sprint Classic or what about Michelin XAS for around £270 or even Pirelli CN36 at a mere £309, and of course that’s EACH.

So did I go down the cheap and cheerful route? Well kind of, did a bit of research and Vredestein TTrac2 seem to get good reports from lots of other classic owners and for the correct size from a recognised European brand are not scarily expensive, though more than 195/65's.

But they are T’s so only rated at 118mph, but how often am I going to cruise down the Autobahn at sustained speed of 120mph+ for several hours and have a speed related blowout, well in reality I'm not, but I do have a modern design made with modern materials in a Dutch factory so i'm sure quality is pretty good.

So I spoke to my ins co and they were fine with it, in effect saying I shouldn’t be doing 120mph anyway.

Cheers  Keith

Is the difference between HR and T tyres simply just their maximum speed rating, or are there other properties related to increased performance/handling etc associated with faster cars requiring HR tyres, even at speeds below 113 mph?

Regards

Bill 

As a matter of interest what was the maximum speed of a TR6? as given by Triumph?

Derek would be the man to say if it were pronounced by Triumph, but contemporary magazine tests hover (that might be true!) around 117 mph..........

From the 21.4 mph/1000 r/m at 5500 r/m gives 116.6 mph at the red line.

Regards

Bill 

In the Homologation papers and in the early brochures Triumph quoted a top speed of between 115mph and 125mph depending on specification and in the press release they said a top speed of around 120mph all of which ties in with the Autocar and Motor road tests which gave 119mph and 117mph respectively. These figures are all for the CP series cars. 

regards

Derek

Talking to my local tyre fitter he suggested that the speed rating was more than just 'speed' but strength in cornering at speeds of 50 mph? He also had a poor opinion of the Vredestein tyres calling them 'just a budget tyre' 

Sounds like he may be confusing the speed rating with the load index: 

https://www.ctyres.co.uk/general/load-index

For an interesting engineers discussion of testing for speed ratings see this US  forum:

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=159900

Edited by RobH
50 minutes ago, Richmac said:

Talking to my local tyre fitter he suggested that the speed rating was more than just 'speed' but strength in cornering at speeds of 50 mph? He also had a poor opinion of the Vredestein tyres calling them 'just a budget tyre' 

Yeah... well if you wanted to make a judgement upon a tyre fitters expertise and opinion I guess you found it right there. He's getting tyre speed rating mixed up with load indexs and grip and wear indicators.

Why not try the most respected consumer organisation in the land which has a reputation to protect and carries out it's own testing using the best technical experts in the field.

Tyre Speed Ratings & Markings Explained - Which?

The markings on tyres help you choose the right replacements. We explain what they mean so you know what to look for.

The sidewall of a tyre is stamped with codes and markings that will tell you all you need to know about it in order to assess its suitability for your car. The letters and numbers relate not only to a tyre’s size and dimensions, but also its composition and speed capabilities. Using the tyre specification 175/65 R14T as an example: 175 = tyre width in mm 65 = tyre sidewall profile – sidewall height expressed as a percentage of its width R = radial (the type of construction; all tyres are now radial as opposed to the older cross-ply construction) 14 = diameter of the wheel rim, in inches T = speed rating, which must match or exceed the maximum speed of your car.

If you’re looking for tyres for a new car, discover the ones we recommend by viewing our Best Buys.

Tyre speed ratings It’s important to fit a tyre that matches or exceeds your car’s top speed. The vehicle’s handbook will tell you the minimum tyre speed and load ratings you should go for, but for reference, below are the ratings and their corresponding speed: S 180km/h or 112mph T 190km/h or 118mph U 200km/h or 125mph H 210km/h or 130mph V 240km/h or 149mph W(ZR) 270km/h or 168mph Y(ZR) 300km/h or 186mph ZR Above 240km/h or 149mph

There is no reason to buy tyres with a speed rating that exceeds your car’s top speed. They’ll cost more for no benefit.

Elsewhere on your tyres you will see the manufacturer’s name, the name of the tyre model and information about where and when the tyre was made. To read about the most popular tyre manufacturers and makes visit our guide to the best car tyre brands.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/how-to-buy-car-tyres/tyre-speed-ratings-and-markings-aLRO82M5NL1l - Which?

Check out the link above for further information if needed.

Mick Richards

Damn, Rob just posted on this. !

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Wow Rob interesting discussion on the link you provided. So from the experts mouth we should be fitting at least H rated tyres to all our vehicles regardless. Well thats certainly changed my point of view. Thanks for posting Rob. Just what I wanted from this forum I'm a little wiser than I was yesterday. 

Hi All

I'd kind of agree that Vredestein are not a premium brand but I’d put them above the raft of unknown Chinese brands out there.

The problem is if you prefer to stay 165 and don’t want a van tyre there is not a lot of choice and the TTrac2 has got pretty positive comments on our forums.

I also looked at the classic tyres they still make for older cars like the Michelin XAS or XZX and Pirelli Cinturato CN36, but unless you really want the period authentic look I think the thick of £1500 a set for 1960’s tyre technology is a little pricy for my wallet.

The most important things are not to buy used, remoulds, really really cheapo junk or leave them on so long they go all hard and cracked even though lots will have plenty of tread left because the mileage done in a TR is likely to be quite low.

My tyres had quite a bit of tread depth left as I was coming to the end of my resto but as they were the thick end of 20 years old, in the bin they went.

Cheers    Keith

10 hours ago, Keith66 said:

I also looked at the classic tyres they still make for older cars like the Michelin XAS or XZX and Pirelli Cinturato CN36, but unless you really want the period authentic look I think the thick of £1500 a set for 1960’s tyre technology is a little pricy for my wallet.

But the difference being (and if you dont believe me then talk to Dougal at Longstone tyres) those retro look tyres are now made using modern rubber and construction but on the outside looking like originals, thats what your paying for

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

But the difference being (and if you dont believe me then talk to Dougal at Longstone tyres) those retro look tyres are now made using modern rubber and construction but on the outside looking like originals, thats what your paying for

Stuart.

Also the limited numbers they make them in pushes up the unit price.

Not as fast as the PI CP ones!

Regards

Bill