TR Register forum search facility

Sophistication -   It appears that the TRR search facility loks for everything in your search string.

EG.  I just put in TR4A radiator cap and the first dozen or more replies were simply for anything TR4A (mostly brakes)

Google looks at the string and produces first time TR4A radiator caps information.  The first hit was all TRR posts regarding TR4A Radiator caps.

As the search facility is rubbish then stick to Google. ALL the various clubs that use this forum base have the same problem.

Roger

If it was too good no one would be using Google anymore. Joke aside it's been years that the issue has been brought up but it looks as though moderators, super-moderators, manager-moderators and vice-president moderators have been busy monitoring postings containing any combination of 4 letters words. Reminds how loosing focus on what's important has lead to the demise of the British automotive industry and why the Register actually exists. Alright, it's a bit far fetched but sooo good 

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

EG.  I just put in TR4A radiator cap and the first dozen or more replies were simply for anything TR4A (mostly brakes)

Framing search queries with quotation marks helps narrow the field somewhat.

For example, for TR4A radiator caps : 

Go to the TR4/TR4A Forum

Type "radiator cap" in quotation marks into the search bar

Click on This Topic

searchfor.jpg.f31cc59734bf8c288c8468a1ca49f208.jpg

Result 80 thread posts with specific reference to TR4 radiator caps.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers
3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Nice one Deggers.

You must be very young to know such things.

Glad to hear it worked, Roger.

(At 43, my Dad thinks I'm young, my niece thinks I'm old . . . and depending on the day of the week, I think I'm both!  :D).

Cheers, Deggers

This search facility problem caused me to ask a direct question on the TR5/250 Forum last night because I couldn't locate a thread that I knew had only recently been aired.

Firstly thanks to those who responded last night.

Just tried the Deggers method with quotation marks and went straight to it. Excellent tip, thanks.

Dave McD

The "Triumph Experience" forum did the simple trick of linking their own search field to Google hence all searches are powered by Google and the only ones to crop up are those linked to the Triumph Experience website. KISS.

To be fair, poor search facilities are not restricted to our forum. Many suppliers and large companies have the same issue. 

Apparently the algorithms developed by Google cannot be beaten easily.

Waldi

Deggers - if your Dad is 43, then I think you must be young as it would mean that you are be unlikely to be over 26 years of age.

Or have I misunderstood?

Ian Cornish

14 minutes ago, Deggers said:

Sorry Ian . . . yep, maybe I should have phrased that differently :rolleyes:.

Deggers

So Deggers has a son who is 43 :ph34r:

glad we got that cleared up :D

I wonder if people from the MG forum ever come over here to read what we are all up to and how we solve our problems.

I expect they go away, shaking their heads and muttering, :

“Thank God I bought an MGA”.

Charlie.