TR Motorsport display at Malvern?

You may have read the announcement that, since their MG Live! event at Silverstone is cancelled, MGs are to be invited to Malvern in August.   See: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/76209-joint-event-with-mg/&tab=comments#comment-714787

MG has a rightful pride in their sporting history.   The Silverstone event includes actual racing (wow!) which won't be possible at Malvern, but also they show off their sporting models, old and new.      Could Triumph do the same?    Can we include a display of pre- and post-WW2 sporting Triumphs?    The rally cars, the speed record cars as well as the racing cars, from Dolomite 8s to Le Mans TR7 V8s, preferably taking in the Jabbeke TR2, the Le Mans Spitfires and Herald rally cars on the way?

I have no idea if such cars would be available, but I have a few contacts in the small chassis world, and I'd love to help set up such a display!

John

Members may recall that I organised a couple of such events:

2010: “The Works Triumphs” display for the IWE at Malvern – 22 Works’ Triumphs (including Spitfires and 2.5PIs) and 20 special guests.

2015: “Competition Triumphs” display for IWE Malvern.

I have retained my files, which include layout drawings for the top bay of the hall, showing how one can fit 22 cars in there.

Ian Cornish

John asked me whether I would be prepared to organise any such display for Malvern this August, but I have replied that at the age of 81, I think it is high time that I stepped aside and let younger folk take on such activities!

However, I would like to be as helpful as possible to any who might wish to undertake such projects, so am willing to pass over copies of my files, and to offer advice should questions arise.

I gather that John is contacting people who might be interested, so I'll wait and see!

I can say that we fully expect all four of the Works' TR4 Rally cars to be present - the first time that the four will have been together since January 1964, just before 3/5/6VC were shipped to America for the Shell 4000 Rally.

Ian Cornish

• 3 months later...

Since I started this thread in February, much has happened, in particular that, in place of Ian, I've been tasked by the InterClub Committee with  organising the TRR component of a display that will include TSSC, CT and of course MG cars.

I'm very conscious of the large shoes I'm filling, and will be very grateful if anyone with a 'Sporting' TR, one that has been or is competing in any form of Motorsport, would contact me with a view to being included.          Please keep the 13th-15th August free in your diary! 

A Personal Message via this board will reach me quickly.

Thanks!

John

John

i hope you get a choice of cars. 
as discussed I would love to support you and the club on this one 

buts it’s a rare weekend where I am competing on both days of the weekend at 2 different venues.

come on folks let’s get a John a good selection of TR’s for display.  

perhaps try the championship Facebook page 

or our new coordinator Larry Jeremy- Croft could send an email round for you. 
h

• 4 weeks later...

I am posting this information provided elsewhere by John Davies under the topic Triumph & MG Weekend 2021.  John is organising the displays for the clubs.

Sporting cars at Malvern.

This year's display of sporting cars at Malvern will be expanded to include not only TRR and TSSC cars, but MGs as well!     In roughly equal numbers, we intend to fill the Wye Hall with a  selection of very special cars, from all ages of all three Clubs' competition history.        So that the owners can have time off to enjoy the WeekEnd themselves, there will be comprehensive display boards by each, so that you can appreciate their finer points.      Some will even be competing at Malvern in the AutoSolo event!

So make a date to visit the Wye Hall during your visit!

John

• 1 month later...

As my car is one of those which will be on display, I have received some information.

It seems that the top end of Wye Hall will be housing a display of 50 Racing Cars from the 3 clubs - TR Register, TSSC and MGCC.

Severn Hall will be housing a display of 59 Anniversary Cars from the 3 clubs, and this is where the four Works' TR4 Rally cars will be found.

Ian Cornish