Removing filter in o/d

Hi all

I intend to remove the drain plug on the o/d (I hope),but my access is fairly tight and although I have my stands under the chassis rails I cant physically get directly underneath the bung to see how to remove the filter.I am hoping it just falls out with the old oil, or is that wishful thinking

regards nige

I have a J-type, and I'm sure I have seen an article or comment from someone on the Forum recommending that there is also a "secondary filter" as well as the main rectangular filter? This should also be cleaned.

Is this true, and how do you get to it/remove?

Regards, Colin. 

Hi Nige

Just drained my A type today.

Undo the brass plug (I used a spanner used for adjusting the adjuster ring on Gaz shocks worked a treat) there's a large fibre washer to seal it against the case and inside the plug there is three magnetic washers and a nipple in the centre which holds the filter up. The filter will either fall out with the oil or need gently removing. 

My plug had been butchered over the years so I tided it up with a file along with the sealing surface and was weeping so I used a bit of PTF tape and a thin smear of silicone when I put it back together hopefully it will seal a bit better. 

Andy