I've got the TR4 running Weak

Hi Mates

I adjusted the Carbies very weak? I drive it very light ( hey, I'm 73) , it's takes around 1/4 temp' on a coolish day before it runs normal , ign' timing spot on, but the exhaust / plugs are very sooty , not been out of town yet--Barry

Sounds about right to me, perhaps very slightly weak.  The black plugs are due to the short runs you have been doing.

Take it for a good long blast out of town & then check them.

Bob.

Give it a nice brisk run out up or down the coast which ever has the least urban traffic. 

probably too far to wave rock but a nice rural run and without too many tourists at the moment. 

I think a blast like that is known as an Italian tune up. 

H

7 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Give it a nice brisk run out up or down the coast which ever has the least urban traffic. 

probably too far to wave rock but a nice rural run and without too many tourists at the moment. 

H

7 minutes ago, Hamish said:

H

Hi hamish--I've  been to Wave Rock, I'm originaly from the Wirral UK--Barry

Spent  year + in oz 1989/90 

wonderful place. 

wave rock was already built then ;)

H

Edited by Hamish

I understood that Aussies were beefy fellows and considered Brits to be wimps, so how come driving very lightly when you're only 73 - I'm 81, but I don't drive "very lightly"!

Ian Cornish

Hi Barry,

if you do not want to or don;t have the time for a long drive then set the tick over to 2000 - 2500 rpm and leave until it gets warm/hot and then run for 10 minutes more. With the throttle still open kill the ignition - DO NOT let the ticker come down to 800-1000rpm before killing the ignition.

This should give a true colour to the plugs.

I believe you are still running in the engine. The black sooty deposit could be burnt oil as things are still bedding in.

Roger

Hi Barry,

As Roger says all you are checking now is tickover settings at probably 800 revs...

Perhaps a more reliable setting check is to drive on the road and get the engine warm 5-19 mins where you live probably. Then on a longish straight road accelerate to 3000 revs and hold it there on the pedal for 10-20 secs ... and cut the ignition WITHOUT removing the throttle input. If you are clever you’ll have done it 200 yards before a laybye or suitable place to pull off the road. Then using the spark plug socket and handle ( don’t forget it) remove the plugs and check the colours. They will show as close as possible how the engine runs in real time conditions.

As Roger says if a recent rebuild ( 1000 mile) I wouldn’t even be trying to change it yet. It will need some BMEP* running to bed in the rings before the more final parts of on road tuning.

Mick Richards

* Brake Mean Effective Pressure... Google it.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Chums 

Ian, Your right, I'm British from the Wirral,  light running till it's run in then we will see...............

thanks for the replies , will give it good run, I know it's been very cold in the UK, USA, but it's been very hot here , got to stay out of the heat----hey I'm 73 -------Barry