Tr3A Rocker oil additional feed

I understood when I purchased this jit some years ago that it was a straightforward fit.

I am presuming that the supply comes from the oil gallery down by the filter and feeds into the back of the cylinder head, there is a hex headed screw there.

Both these location screws look like UNC threads and the threads on the flexible pipe unions are much finer and smaller. 

Are these the correct locations?

and if so I guess I need adaptors?

Forgive me as I have not seen one of these fitted.

John

10 hours ago, iain said:

I should put it on the shelf and forget about it.

Iain

+1.

I thought about fitting one because my rocker shaft was seriously worn, and after fitting new bushes and shaft I thought it may lengthen the life, but truth is when I had the engine running with the rocker cover off to check for a noisy tappet there was plenty of oil oozing from the rockers on tickover and I couldn`t see the point of the seperate feed. Maybe on a race engine with hot cams etc, but I think Triumph got it ok for standard use.

Ralph.

11 hours ago, iain said:

I should put it on the shelf and forget about it.

Iain

Yep, thats where mine ended up, as an old TR sage said to me, when I tried extolling the virtues of the newly fitted

adaption, "Think I would rather have all the oil possible around the crank, rather then diverting some away to a shaft you can change in an hour"

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Yep, thats where mine ended up, as an old TR sage said to me, when I tried extolling the virtues of the newly fitted

adaption, "Think I would rather have all the oil possible around the crank, rather then diverting some away to a shaft you can change in an hour"

John.

^ + 1  Never a truer word spoken.

Mick Richards

Also would not fit one, been there, wasted hours. High probability of over oiling around the two front valves, burning oil and fouling #1 plug. I'd even added restrictors to no avail.

If there is no oil gently dribbling from the front two rockers at, say 2000rpm, then perhaps investigate why not.  Check for leaks at the shaft end caps, ensure the cap securing pin is a solid type, a roll (coil) type if you must but definitely not a slot roll pin. These provide a leak path for the oil and reduce pressure to the rockers at that end.

By removing the rocker pedestals it's possible to push a piece of stiff wire into the oil feed hole in the head and push down more than the head depth - check that the head gasket is not squashed into the small hole, unlikely but not unknown.

MJ