Why brake pedal very hard

I have changed brakes but pedal is still very hard, does not allow wheels to stop rotating at all, servo pads and master cylinder all new.

Sounds like a servo problem, can you byepass it with a-made up pipe ? Hopefully you’ll see braking effect then proving the rest of the system.

Mick Richards

"does not allow wheels to stop rotating at all,"- even with a crook master cylinder this shouldn't happen. I agree with the above- did any fluid emerge when you bled the brakes?

Vary rare occurrence- but the symptoms could be caused by a blocked line from the M/C.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem ,brakes work but not very effective25% max,fitted new pipes, pads ,discs,drums, reconditioned mc ( pastparts) but the servo is the original.

What would the best and easiest way to test the servo?

5hanks Mark.

New pads and new discs need bedding in for maybe 10-15 miles before decent braking happens. The surfaces of disc and pad are just too flat and shiny. Try rubbing down the disc surface with 80 grit paper across the surface or drop an orbital with similar grit onto it and rotate the disc at least 3 times to cover all. Same with inside mating surface on brake drum.

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, Mark69 said:

What would the best and easiest way to test the servo?

Mark,

if you start the car while depressing the brake pedal, the pedal should drop  further (while not changing pedal (foot) force, the moment the engine starts. If it does not, the servo is not working. If it does, the servo is ok.

Waldi

Sounds to me like the master cylinder has been assembled incorrectly.