Power Steering TR6

Has anybody got experience of fitting a "Classic Driving Experience" power steering kit to a TR6 (1972) Including any problems fitting and using

It’s a bit fiddly fitting the pump mounting plate to the water pump, so ask them to supply extra nuts otherwise you will spend a lot of time searching for the ones you have dropped!!! (Or perhaps it’s just me being a bit clumsy these days!)

Other than that it’s brilliant. Some of my old posts showing my installation should come up if you search.

Nigel

Hi Nigle

Any chance of taking some pictures of the install as you go to help others in the future after all we are all getting older and its nice to see how problems are resolved.

Cheers

Andy

for price of a joint it saves a lot of stress

Should we be advocating this sort of "recreational" activity?!!!!!!

Regards

Bill 

21 hours ago, jellison said:

Why would anyone want or need PS on a TR??!!!

Someone who might have a medical problem eg Stroke or someone who is generally not as strong as they once was and finds the effort more demanding as typically as you age upper body strength dwindles. Or just prefers the ease power steering gives for day to day use. Racing well that's another story.

• 3 months later...

The water pump failed just as it was out of warranty, but Moss swapped it no problem.

Thanks for the tip Keith, did it on the bench - no stress!!!

Not sure if I used the same type of Joint Keith referred to, but the Moss one worked fine  :D:D;)!!!!

Nigel

If you first do the joint and then do the gasket you may end in a gasket eh no casket.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:50 PM, jellison said:

Why would anyone want or need PS on a TR??!!!

Hmmm, its personal choice and each to their own, its their car and many have individual preferences or needs as has been said.

But saying that i can't really imagine wanting my steering to be lighter.

It is, i feel, no heavier than the power steering in my MG Zt, but then the wife doesn't like that and prefers the one finger PS in her Mazda hatch, so as i said it is each to their own.

Cheers   Keith

Hi Keith 66

I thought that when I was a young strong lad, the PAS is only really noticed when parking again it is down to our own choice as you say but maybe have a go in one fitted with it and you will see our well engineered it is. I thought the same as you about making changes to my 72 six but after seeing people who had changed over to EFI I changed mine over and again it makes the car even better then it was before, as long as we keep all the original parts they can be changed back to standard if required.

Cheers

Keith

My wife also has difficulty in steering our 71 TR6 2.5 PI at low speed (as well as our 72 MGB-GT). The answer? for her 80th birthday, I purchases a 2008 Mercedes SLK200. Everything is powered, even the hood. She loves it.

Alan