Bronze bearing carrier query

LuK is a German company, since 1965 at the Black Forest,

but founded 1927 at my hometown "Esslingen" as "Lamellen- und Kupplungsbau August Häussermann".

I passed the factory evey day by train on my way to school.

The company "Häussermann" is still there doing clutch and gearbox things 

https://haussermann.com/ueber-haeussermann.html

What do you mean with "the blocks are too small"?

Edited by Z320

The box as gone back in this afternoon with a fight or should I say a good workout. I have had the bearing pressed onto the new old metal bearing carrier. Hopefully all is well. Thank you all for the guidance so glad I asked the question otherwise I would have fitted it thinking it was bronze and hopefully won’t have to pull the gearbox anytime soon.

Mark

6 hours ago, Z320 said:

LuK is a German company, since 1965 at the Black Forest,

but founded 1927 at my hometown "Esslingen" as "Lamellen- und Kupplungsbau August Häussermann".

I passed the factory evey day by train on my way to school.

The company "Häussermann" is still there doing clutch and gearbox things 

https://haussermann.com/ueber-haeussermann.html

What do you mean with "the blocks are too small"?

When I have mastered being able to load my photo of my bearing carrier assembly. It should answer your Question?

Bruce.

5 minutes ago, PodOne said:

So just for confirmation the carrier offered by Revingtons is bronze?

Andy

Hi Andy, I can confirm that the one I bought from Revington’s was bronze.

Just now, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Andy, I can confirm that the one I bought from Revington’s was bronze.

Thanks Kev

Hi Mark,

I am the guilty party here - sorry. It came with a pile of other TR spares when I bought my car back in November. I realised it wasn’t steel so just looked at the Rimmers site to see what it was made from, hence the assumption. Never thought for a moment there would be an issue. There are piles of receipts so I will go through them and see if said carrier is there and who supplied it. I wonder why it wasn’t fitted by PO? Perhaps he knew. Then again he said he would put the spares in a skip if I didn’t want them! 

I’ve just had the gearbox out too due to a broken clutch shaft lever, so I know what a pig it is. Incidentally it had those slippers on the sleeve which I’d not seen before. From an engineering perspective they are much better than the pins.

You are more than welcome to return it to me and I’ll refund you.

Again, sorry for the headache, but at least you didn’t fit it and then get an issue.

Colin

On 2/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, astontr6 said:

When I have mastered being able to load my photo of my bearing carrier assembly. It should answer your Question?

Here is an example of the what i did to my bearing carrier. This example is taken from another local TR which did the same conversion as mine. This should answer the question about the slippers in the previous example pictures being too small. 

Thanks 

Bruce 

Bruce.1943869014_IMG_1648_1200x1600BronzeBearing.thumb.jpg.ee4c2292b94de730fb5a66b780b06d1d.jpg

Bruce.

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

?

But this doesn't matter,

shure you agree with me the construction benefits from the slippers.

I have had no trouble with this mod in 4 years since my rebuild. In the past there has been many threads on sticky clutches, it cures that problem,

Bruce.

17 hours ago, astontr6 said:

I have had no trouble with this mod in 4 years since my rebuild. In the past there has been many threads on sticky clutches, it cures that problem,

Bruce.

Most of the sticky clutch problems have been to do with failure to fit dowel bolts when re-fitting the box itself or poorly made carriers.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Most of the sticky clutch problems have been to do with failure to fit dowel bolts when re-fitting the box itself or poorly made carriers.

Stuart.

My car suffered from a sticky clutch from new and the local BL Dealer was unable to cure the problem. Other than stack a load of grease on the gear box nose and change the M/S carrier 3 times. That worked for a while until the grease dried up. Then I had trouble with  screaming RHP thrust bearings, having to take out the gear box 3 times in one month, having been supplied with3 bad ones?  All this part of my clutch saga happen out of warranty. The dowel bolts were always fitted correctly. I am well versed in taking out TR6 gear boxes!

Bruce. 

Hi Stuart/Bruce,

3 or 4 years back I had to take my GB out as the clutch was sticking (Ratchet clutch). I could not find a definite cause. So I tidied things up and put the box back.

The sticking clutch continued,  very vicious  release causing kangarooing.

The GB came out again. Still could not fins a cause. The slave was changed, The Master was changed. New friction plate and new pressure plate.

I noticed a subtle wear mark at the 6-o-clock position on the GB front extension proving that the carriers was hitting this area.

I machined the Bronze carrier to allow it to guide itself back down the extension nose.

The problem continued.

GB out again (3rd time in two weeks.

The dowels were and are in place to align the box and engine.

Upon this third removal I fitted a new extension and a TRShop steel carrier.  For whatever reason I decided to make an alignment jig to make sure that the GB splined input shaft was concentric with the extension nose - it wasn't. There was a 15' vertical displacement.

I made a tapered gasket to go under the extension and it worked perfectly

What was happening!!

The release bearing is conical. When pushed forward it engages with the diaphragm fingers and finds a centre - this is different to the extension centre due to the vertical misalignment. When the clutch pedal is released the fingers push the bearing back but because of the misalignment the carrier starts to cock over to line up with the extension. However after just a small movement is gets jammed on the extension (the subtle wear mark) 

With a lot of vibration the carrier suddenly releases and the whole lot shoots back. (ratchet clutch)

I checked the old extension on the lathe and the faces were perfectly square as is the new one.

I can;t explain why the GB splined I/P shaft is not aligned with the extension nose.

Perhaps this problem is more widespread.

Note - this problem does not affect the cars with the older spring pressure plate as it has a flat faced bearing and any misalignment simply scuffs across the bearing surface.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart/Bruce,

3 or 4 years back I had to take my GB out as the clutch was sticking (Ratchet clutch). I could not find a definite cause. So I tidied things up and put the box back.

The sticking clutch continued,  very vicious  release causing kangarooing.

The GB came out again. Still could not fins a cause. The slave was changed, The Master was changed. New friction plate and new pressure plate.

I noticed a subtle wear mark at the 6-o-clock position on the GB front extension proving that the carriers was hitting this area.

I machined the Bronze carrier to allow it to guide itself back down the extension nose.

The problem continued.

GB out again (3rd time in two weeks.

The dowels were and are in place to align the box and engine.

Upon this third removal I fitted a new extension and a TRShop steel carrier.  For whatever reason I decided to make an alignment jig to make sure that the GB splined input shaft was concentric with the extension nose - it wasn't. There was a 15' vertical displacement.

I made a tapered gasket to go under the extension and it worked perfectly

What was happening!!

The release bearing is conical. When pushed forward it engages with the diaphragm fingers and finds a centre - this is different to the extension centre due to the vertical misalignment. When the clutch pedal is released the fingers push the bearing back but because of the misalignment the carrier starts to cock over to line up with the extension. However after just a small movement is gets jammed on the extension (the subtle wear mark) 

With a lot of vibration the carrier suddenly releases and the whole lot shoots back. (ratchet clutch)

I checked the old extension on the lathe and the faces were perfectly square as is the new one.

I can;t explain why the GB splined I/P shaft is not aligned with the extension nose.

Perhaps this problem is more widespread.

Note - this problem does not affect the cars with the older spring pressure plate as it has a flat faced bearing and any misalignment simply scuffs across the bearing surface.

Roger

Roger! You have now got me thinking.  When my gear box came back from ORS, the casing was cracked? It looked like DHL had dropped it. So it had to go back to ORS for another G/B case, which they duly supplied and rebuilt it. Does this mean that I unknowingly over came the sticking clutch because I now had a different G/B case? I cannot remember if the front face of the G/B governs the alinement of the nose?

Bruce.