Engine explosion Boeing 777-200

An apocryphal story attributed to early British Rail testing of the windscreen of the HS125. They allegedly borrowed the compressed air gun from RR but failed to defrost the duck so failed the test. I bet this was just a story as part of the rivalry between the RR and BR engineering departments in Derby. A good story that I was told as a young engineer at RR.

As the aero-engine test costs £5-10m to complete, I doubt that anybody would actually forget to defrost the duck. Just in case any body has a concern for the ducks, they are specially bred to a certain weight and humanly killed by a vet. Then stored to wait for the test.

Mick

Hi Stuart,

it is possible that the 'frozen' chicken incident is banter across the pond. They get bragging rights and equally so do we.

Indeed they do fire normal thawed chickens to simulate bird strikes but frozen birds are tend not to fly too high.

Roger

HHmmmmm ...well I'm sure Frank Richardson ex RR employee at Hucknall told me the birds had actually been killed the day before but had suffered rigor mortis overnight, the extra "stiffened corpse" proving too much for vanes on occasion.

Mick Richards

If you have a morbid interest in aircraft accidents, 'Flight X' on YouTube, astonishing graphics and I take comfort in the fact that after every accident a forensic analysis and measures ae put in place to reduce the chances of it happening again.  Cheers, Andrew

Thanks for that Deggers, it was very informative. I bet they won’t show that on the news as it is far too positive. 
Our son is, at present, doing his 777 training since BA flight managers/Pursers have to work across the whole fleet and all destinations now since all the changes.

Edited by SuzanneH