Whilst continuing the refurb of my 3A bonnet, before, 'Bondarusting', I find that

both Dzus fixing holes are ovalised and too large, I would never get  a secure fix.

Plan is to, carefully,  seam weld an infil plate from underneath, grind flush and then redrill round.

Anyone see any issues with this, or is there a better way?299290144_dzusbonnethole.jpg.54ea1372b55eaf7efc72f849d66081c4.jpg

John.

17 minutes ago, Lebro said:

What are the other two holes for ?

Bob.

Bob,

I'm guessing that a PO, fitted those, of the time, locking bonnet pins that had  a plate with four holes riveted to the bonnet, a pin coming up the from the inner wing, and was secured with a wired pin, all very rally like. Both sides actually have four holes.

Iain,

Might be a solution, if I used a washer with a large enough hole to accomodate the grommet, there wouldn't be enough metal to weld. Perhaps using a washer trimmed to suit my ovalled hole, (That can't be English?) with say a 5mm hole would make it easier to then enlarge to take the grommet?

Ian, thanks Ian, but I was planning to have the bonnet painted and then fit the grommets, so probobly not th eexopy route, thanks anyway.

John.

You will probably be welding up the two smaller holes, so IMO you may as well start again with the Dzus holes. Just do some careful marking (a large cross) so you know exactly where to re-drill.

Bob.

I am afraid I fitted the bonnet pins on mine ( not many Marshall’s carry a carriage key. 
fits in the same hole in the bonnet and the pin in the inner wing directly under the dzus spring bracket fits .

notation when I had louvres done thus repainted. 

F6FA0870-3700-485D-91A1-D3135EF4807F.jpeg

4213912F-95CC-4FF0-8A6C-E116200C1413.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Much more secure, I have been tempted that way myself, but have not to date.

Bob.

Secure in that it won’t pop up

but less safe parked up in that anyone could open it if they really wanted to. 

Would the half grommet be sufficient to cover the ovality? I know it's slightly off subject but how do you compress the Dzus Half Grommet. I've tried with a nut and bolt  but didn't have a satisfactory result.

Des

Hi Des,

unfortunately no, the ovality of the hole means it could never be secure.

Re fixing the grommet, key is to use a countersunk bolt to,'Bell' the thing and a flat washer on top of the bonnet, reports indicate this works well.

John.

47 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Des,

unfortunately no, the ovality of the hole means it could never be secure.

Re fixing the grommet, key is to use a countersunk bolt to,'Bell' the thing and a flat washer on top of the bonnet, reports indicate this works well.

John.

Yep, countersunk bolt to start it going and then finish off with a regular bolt and flat washers.  And I made sure that the final bolt was the same diameter as the dzus to ensure that the diameter of the hole wasn't reduced.

Rgds Ian

15 hours ago, foster461 said:

That hole doesnt look too far off round, how about just adding a bead or two of weld on the elongated side and then grind it flat and use a file to make it round again ?

Stan

Thats exactly what I have had to do before now, not easy but do-able.

Stuart.

I filled dozens of holes on my project using a bit of flattened copper pipe under the hole to help control the weld bead. In Johns case it doesnt even need to be that pretty as the alu gromet will cover it up. It just need to be closed up a bit to stop everything from moving.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, iain said:

What about welding in a washer? 
Iain

Hi all,

Thought you might like an update.

So went in the end with Iain's suggestion of using a washer.

The worst hole I made to fit from a larger repair washer with 1/4 inch centre, other side really only needed a smaller washer staright from the packet.

No problem with the welding and all pretty straithforward really, Thanks for the contributions.

John.

1697573054_dzusholes-kitchenetc003take2.jpg.ed63b48a487a4549be1a63cd0eba91cf.jpg

2058071233_dzusholes-kitchenetc010take2.jpg.7049310014faa0364e5137642e0e98ff.jpg

444612905_dzusholes-kitchenetc007take2.jpg.d85b3491d5aed88cab0c8aab9c7513d2.jpg

524678822_dzusholes-kitchenetc030take2.jpg.0ed620cb7a08f241566d1dee2081849a.jpg

Last picture shows holding coat of bondarust, over just the metal.