Tr3A & TR3 Bumper Bars

Next issue!

Is there a major difference between the 3A and 3 bumper bar?

I know that the overriders on the 3A are supported from the tub through the grille but it is the bar I am considering.

Although the car is a 1957 TR3A, I have fitted a "small-mouth" apron as I prefer that look. I have two bars, pictured with one in reasonable condition and the other poor. Does anyone here know the cost of a re-chrome/refurbished bar? New ones are quite costly.

Interested to hear experienceson this issue.

john

Bumper Bars Orig.jpg

They are 3A bumpers, & are quite different in shape. specifically those shown are almost straight up to the ends, where they bend shrply rearwards, The TR2 / 3 ones have a much more rounded end to them

bumper.thumb.JPG.cabfb968abbce147dad799a77b7f1074.JPG

Bob.

I sent my 3a bumper to Ray Hodge at Chromeworld, in Grays, Essex last year. Cost, including postage back to me was a reasonable £190.  I am very pleased with the finish, but it is not Triple plated, rather the flash chroming that most places use these days, so I cannot give any clue as to durability. I was quoted  double that amount for triple plating.

chromeworlds@hotmail.com

Ralph

23 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I sent my 3a bumper to Ray Hodge at Chromeworld, in Grays, Essex last year. Cost, including postage back to me was a reasonable £190.  I am very pleased with the finish, but it is not Triple plated, rather the flash chroming that most places use these days, so I cannot give any clue as to durability. I was quoted  double that amount for triple plating.

chromeworlds@hotmail.com

Ralph

Im afraid "Flash" chrome wont last five minutes out in the real world, its what they use on furniture and such like that lives indoors.

Stuart.

39 minutes ago, Dic Doretti said:

Would "flash chroming" be durable on brass hub caps? Some Dorettis had steel hub caps but some were brass.

Cheers Richard

On Brass yes it would be fine.

Stuart.

Had My 3A bumper bar straightened and triple plated at Silvabronz in Alton. 3 years ago.  https://www.beckworth.net/ 

The cost with 2 Dzus screen tenon plates, 2 screen stanchions, 4 overiders, 2 override stays was £500. And took 3 months.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 2/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, John Reilly said:

Next issue!

Is there a major difference between the 3A and 3 bumper bar?

I know that the overriders on the 3A are supported from the tub through the grille but it is the bar I am considering.

Although the car is a 1957 TR3A, I have fitted a "small-mouth" apron as I prefer that look. I have two bars, pictured with one in reasonable condition and the other poor. Does anyone here know the cost of a re-chrome/refurbished bar? New ones are quite costly.

Interested to hear experienceson this issue.

john

Bumper Bars Orig.jpg

Do you have the irons that fix between the bumper and the chassis?   They are different for the earlier bumper to the ones for the bumpers you shew.

Peter W

7 hours ago, stuart said:

Im afraid "Flash" chrome wont last five minutes out in the real world, its what they use on furniture and such like that lives indoors.

Stuart.

You are probably right, but it was an early re-pro bumper and I was watching the pennies last year during lockdown. Figured it would get me on the road and later I could replace it with a new one as and when it needed. I would have gone for a full stainless set, but the kids had already bought me overiders as Christmas presents.

Ralph.

John, although repro TR3 bumper irons are available, one or two of us have had problems with them because the profile was wrong

Malcolm

If you search "Tr Sides screen bumper irons" the link that for some reason I can't post should come up

Edited by Malcolm Tatton
link which doesn't work removed
12 hours ago, Malcolm Tatton said:

John, although repro TR3 bumper irons are available, one or two of us have had problems with them because the profile was wrong

Malcolm

If you search "Tr Sides screen bumper irons" the link that for some reason I can't post should come up

I had to spend a fair bit of money having my Moss bumper irons that came with my TR2 (same as TR3) reprofiled. They were absolutely woeful, and I had two sets exactly the same. That was a few years ago.

Sorry John but the link was to a thread on here which refers to the problems with the Moss ones. I couldn't post the link as there was a problem with my browser settings, but am now using a different one.

I'm afraid I don't know whether anyone sells ones that fit, I've been looking for some time!

Thanks

Malcolm

For what it's worth, when I fitted the front bumper to my TR3 I had to "fettle" the irons quite a bit to get the bumper level, & centralised, & they were ST items.

Not too hard to do with a bit of brute force !

Bob.