13 hours ago, David B2 said:

It looks like a 4a but it’s not only the coil that’s different. 
1. What’s that’s mounted between the coil and the washer bottle ? And 

2. that’s a neat tool tray you’ve created to the side of the battery. I presume it has another purpose ?
Puzzled. Thanks David B

I wonder who would remark on that, Its a Lucas pump which was fitted during an EFI trial but since removed. The box is actually a Racetorations oil catch tank. Catch tank

Stuart.

On 2/21/2021 at 9:41 AM, Michael Mckiernan said:

Just a thought but they do not recommend fitting oil filled coils horizontally .

Resin filled coils can be fitted in any orientation.

Mick

I removed my coil from the engine and mounted horizontal on the TR6 and recently replaced recently replaced with a new modern Flamethrower.

How do you know whether its oil filled or Resin type?

Colin.

Just now, boxofbits said:

The header tank looks vaguely Jaguar Stuart, and where can you obtain a metal brake light switch?

Kevin

The header tank I think was early MGB i.e. brass, though theyre getting expensive to buy now as people have realised they work well on all sorts of other cars of that era that didnt have one. The metal brake light switch is the original, often these get broken as theyre quite bulky, there is a BMW one that a lot of others fit to TR5/6 as their plastic repros dont last five minutes and that will do on a 4/4a as well. Brake light switch

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

The header tank I think was early MGB i.e. brass, though theyre getting expensive to buy now as people have realised they work well on all sorts of other cars of that era that didnt have one. The metal brake light switch is the original, often these get broken as theyre quite bulky, there is a BMW one that a lot of others fit to TR5/6 as their plastic repros dont last five minutes and that will do on a 4/4a as well. Brake light switch

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart have ordered the brake light switch as mine is the plastic repro. I should've hung onto the original when I restored the car!

Regards

Kevin

11 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Thanks Stuart have ordered the brake light switch as mine is the plastic repro. I should've hung onto the original when I restored the car!

Regards

Kevin

Never get rid of anything, you never know when it will get you out of trouble!

Stuart.

6 hours ago, c.hydes said:

I removed my coil from the engine and mounted horizontal on the TR6 and recently replaced recently replaced with a new modern Flamethrower.

How do you know whether its oil filled or Resin type?

Colin.

Hi Colin , looks like Flamethrower coils come in oil filled and epoxy. Should tell you on your invoice which part number you have ordered

then just check on Aldon Automotive's web site to check.

Hope this helps.

Mick.

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

Stuart - what did you do with the radiator cap with that expansion tank?

Darren

2 minutes ago, DRD said:

Stuart - what did you do with the radiator cap with that expansion tank?

Darren

I used a flat cap on the rad and the pressure cap is on the header tank.

Stuart.

It always struck me as a bad idea to clamp the coil to a hot block. I repositioned mine on the bulkhead next to the washer reservoir (TR5 type) many moons ago and at the same time fitted the spare to the wheel arch. Should the first coil ever fail the leads can be swapped in seconds.

Tim

IMG_0129.JPG

1 hour ago, stuart said:

I used a flat cap on the rad and the pressure cap is on the header tank.

Stuart.

OK thanks Stuart - what pressure cap do you use on the tank?

I was considering changing mine but was thinking about using the Stag/TR7 type expansion tank which looks similar to the original one but has a pressurised cap.

Cheers Darren

When I converted to a sealed system in 1994 (see posting on page 1 of this topic), I transferred the pressure cap from the radiator to the tank, and bought a blanking cap for the radiator.

Ian Cornish

21 minutes ago, ianc said:

When I converted to a sealed system in 1994 (see posting on page 1 of this topic), I transferred the pressure cap from the radiator to the tank, and bought a blanking cap for the radiator.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Ian I'll see if I can find that article.

Darren

22 minutes ago, ianc said:

Ian Cornish

I’ve done the same on my 3a with the same tank as Stuart’s works well and doesn’t look out of place. 

Darren - all copies of TR Action can be accessed by members of the club on the TR Register's website.  You just select TR Action in the top menu, then log-in.

If you search using "Issue 112", it should take you straight to the relevant copy.

The Technicalities CD was issued to all current members at the time it was produced and then, as far as I am aware, to all new members form then on.  I copied the CD to my hard drive as it saves time.

Ian Cornish

51 minutes ago, ianc said:

Darren - all copies of TR Action can be accessed by members of the club on the TR Register's website.  You just select TR Action in the top menu, then log-in.

If you search using "Issue 112", it should take you straight to the relevant copy.

The Technicalities CD was issued to all current members at the time it was produced and then, as far as I am aware, to all new members form then on.  I copied the CD to my hard drive as it saves time.

Ian Cornish

Ian - I couldn't find in issue 112 but did on the Technicalities CD under B19.

Thanks Darren

Well done, Darren.  Perhaps searching TR Actions for "February 1994" might have worked - I hadn't tried as I have my own Index to my major articles.

I hope you find the article interesting and of use - it has worked worked well for me for 27 years.

Ian Cornish

19 hours ago, Michael Mckiernan said:

Hi Colin , looks like Flamethrower coils come in oil filled and epoxy. Should tell you on your invoice which part number you have ordered

then just check on Aldon Automotive's web site to check.

Hope this helps.

Mick.

Thanks Mick, that's a relief, its a Flamethrower 3 ohm 40611 epoxy filled so presumably OK to mount horizontally?

Colin.