TR3A Starter Motor (High-Torque

Next puzzle!

In 2014 I purchased a high-torque starter motor and fitted to the engine that I was rebuilding, photo 1

Fast forward to today when I making and fitting a new loom and in the process connected up the starter motor and on testing

it just spins without engaging the ring-gear. (Hmnnnnn)

Scratched head and looked to see if I missed any connections but there is only the one single terminal, for the Battery supplied current input.

Searched what I could find on the net. It seems some of these motors have an additional connection for the Ignition switch or starter push-button to trigger the starting process. My motor has none such!

There is a hole with a plastic plug just below the main terminal post, the photos show it as found and removed.

Has anyone had issues like this?

As usual any advice will be appreciated

I attach a few photos for info

John

Starter Motor:Manifold fit.JPG

Nameplate.jpg

Sight with Mirror.jpg

Terminal.jpg

Operating the starter motor is also supposed to power a solenoid which throws the gear forwards to mesh with the ring-gear. I think the lower black cylinder in your picture is the solenoid. It sounds as though that is not happening.

My starter is similar and has only one connection - there should be a wire  linking to the common terminal to provide power to the solenoid. 

Edited by RobH

First thought.

Is there an electrical terminal diametrically opposite the one you are currently attaching the cable to?

I think if there is you are connecting the starter cable to the wrong terminal.

Second thought.

Has this starter ever functioned on this engine?

By part number you have a starter to fit an engine with a flywheel fitted with a bolt on ring gear (TR3A from late 1959 onwards & including TR4A)

That might be the reason the starter gear is not meshing.

You would need to take the starter off to check the flywheel unless you have photos of the engine build.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I have the same Wosp starter motor (except mine is for the earlier shrink on ring gear)

Starter.thumb.jpg.21aa14912d8b0e4cfd1b43f629d26285.jpg 

I think yours is mounted upside down, on the other side should be two unused terminals. a big stud for the main cable, & a spade terminal which activates the solenoid.  There are two ways of wiring the motor.

1) link the two terminals mentioned above together (a link wire is usually provided for this) and wire it as the original motor was from the original TR solenoid.

2) don't link  as in 1 above, but instead feed the heavy cable direct from battery to motor, & extend the connection previously going to the TR solenoid      activation terminal (spade) down to the motor's spade terminal.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
3 hours ago, Lebro said:

Getting it the right way up will help with that!

Bob.

My original post (back in 2010) was prompted by the proximity of the starter motor to the exhaust until some kind soul pointed out that I had mounted it upside down.

I still wrapped the exhaust before I fitted it and am glad I did, it gets mighty warm after a while and it's a very cheap option which is easy to do.  I had to renew it after my recent exercise removing the engine and gearbox but that was only because I had damaged it in getting it out and it still cost less than £20 to replace it.

Rgds Ian

I have a similar exhaust -( Pheonix) I got mine ceramic coated internally before fitting it. whether that actually works has yet to be proved ! but have had no problems so far.

Bob.

• 1 year later...

Thanks but I don't want to damage my bell housing by having to cut it. I will just return the starter if that is required. I put a high torque starter in the past bugger to get the nut on the top bolt. I will have it rebuilt and put back in if I have to but I would think the WOSP should work. Anyone else have any ideas. Also, does the fix bolt go into the top or bottom bolt hole. 

Roger didn't mean cut the bell housing - a hole in the transmission tunnel allows you to access the nut with a socket spanner, and since it's covered by the carpet it is hidden.  

I believe that the front plate on the WOSP   can be rotated if you remove the  cap-head screws, and there are a ring of alternative holes so if you wanted you could have the fixed stud at the bottom (though clearance at the top in front of the solenoid is tight, so you might not gain anything and is probably why the fixed stud is there.)  

Do you have a name we can use? It seems rude to call you 'fatM'

Rob

Edited by RobH

All these high torque starter motors seem to have this problem. Clearly the designers have never fitted one to a TR with bodywork in place.

I have a Powerlite unit and with their agreement, on the bench, turned the adaptor plate through 180° so that the stud was at the bottom. Life becomes a lot easier. First it’s a doddle to tighten the nut on the fixed stud - now at the bottom - and with an assistant holding a spanner on the bolt - now at the top - you can get at the nut from underneath using a ratchet with a few extensions and a wobbly

No need for any destructive work

james

I pressed the bolt out, rotated the starter mainly down (less than 180 deg.) and use it with standard bolts and nuts.

Did not work better with my MX5 gearbox.

If you want you can use the bolts from behind, weld a bended „c“ made of 10 mm steel on them 

and have no problem anymore to use a spanner from behind (and safe the hole in the gb tunnel)

bs0zczVMKboz8I1Po9iMgTvm15X56Vn5Acx0Ye7o

The exhaust I rapped with insulation tape only for the short distance of the starter, not shure about the need for that.

Edited by Z320

Thanks guys, Glad you clarified about the cut. make sense because I can put a rubber plug back and cover with a carpet. I will also look at rotating the stud to the bottom bolt hole but I remember how much of a pain it was to get my old one in so not sure I want to wrestle with that top nut again. I plan on working on it in the next few weeks. Really appreciate the advice. 

Mike