Just sharing a useless bit or TR6 info!

Hi,

My 1970 TR6, I knew had an engine in from 74, no big deal.

Anyway, my water bottle never fitted, was missing the strap and looked awful.  So fun lockdown task, clean, paint, make look like new, replace strap.  Damn thing would not fit, air filter (stock - less a bit of chrome) would not let it fit using original drill holes.

Anyway - some helpful chap on the triumph forum from over the pond explained why - seems the later engines have a longer manifold, hence, later cars have washer bottle more to right!  

Just thought I would share some trivia!

Richard

I just changed my washer bottle, it had the oval type but needed square. The fixings fit from the engine bay side so easy enough to drill new ones and move it.

A picture would be good though as I've not seen this before. 

Gareth

I have a 72 CP with an oval bottle too.

I assume being left hand drive there is a lot less room for the water bottle etc. I take it is fitted on the right hand side Richard?

No pic right now . . so will try to describe !

LHD car, square washer bottle.  Bottle had no strap, so shoved to one side, flopping around,  ie towards wing.  Seems reason was way back, when the 74 engine was put in, the longer manifold left no space for original placement of bottle, so PO removed strap (I guess) and shoved bottle nearer to wing, unsecured etc to side of wing.  

Fast forward, 30 years, I try re-fitting said bottle and nice new cleaned up mount - did not fit - and reason is given above!

Richard

1 hour ago, AarhusTr6 said:

No pic right now . . so will try to describe !

LHD car, square washer bottle.  Bottle had no strap, so shoved to one side, flopping around,  ie towards wing.  Seems reason was way back, when the 74 engine was put in, the longer manifold left no space for original placement of bottle, so PO removed strap (I guess) and shoved bottle nearer to wing, unsecured etc to side of wing.  

Fast forward, 30 years, I try re-fitting said bottle and nice new cleaned up mount - did not fit - and reason is given above!

Richard

So how did the 74 on LHD cars get the bottle to fit? 

Gareth

Here's an image of the engine bay of a genuine low mileage 1974 USA TR6 owned by Dave Bingham from MA in the US. The clearance between the air cleaner and the wheelarch "depression" would appear to be the limiting factor on the position of the bottle / bottle bracket

There is no change in part number for the bottle, bracket or bulkhead shelf panel from the 1973 model so the issue can only be a change in the position of the fixings on the bulkhead shelf from the 1970 to 1974 model.

cheers

Derek

DSCN3109.JPG

The three black grommets in the triangle formation are the mounting points for the bottle on earlier cars.  On later cars with the longer intake manifold, the bottle is moved outboard (to the left in the pic).  The top left original hole is used, plus the two new ungrommeted holes seen in the pic.

Ed

IMG_2508a.JPG

That clears it up nicely, looks a bit like an afterthought that someone noticed when they first tried the new manifold.