Rear oil gallery plug leak - behind engine back plate

This oil gallery plug, the one right below and to the left of the aft cam shaft plug, leaking at a significant rate. The challenge with this oil gallery plug on my motor is that it is no longer a 1/4 pipe plug thread. It was tapped as a straight 1/2-20 thread sometime in its past. So there is nothing to tighten against.

Any thoughts or experience on how to seal up this oil gallery plug? What sealant would you use for straight threads. Need something that sets up hard since this can't be tightened down.

Any other ideas?  Thnks!
InkedIMG_4351_LI_small.thumb.jpg.e61aaa9de0fe3cc160789f3043e3d093.jpg
-DaveR

4 hours ago, Fresh6 said:

This oil gallery plug, the one right below and to the left of the aft cam shaft plug, leaking at a significant rate. The challenge with this oil gallery plug on my motor is that it is no longer a 1/4 pipe plug thread. It was tapped as a straight 1/2-20 thread sometime in its past. So there is nothing to tighten against.

Any thoughts or experience on how to seal up this oil gallery plug? What sealant would you use for straight threads. Need something that sets up hard since this can't be tightened down.

Any other ideas?  Thnks!
InkedIMG_4351_LI_small.thumb.jpg.e61aaa9de0fe3cc160789f3043e3d093.jpg
-DaveR

Hi Dave,

I think that you will have to make up a purpose made plug and therefore have access to a M/C Shop. But I would have to see what's in their now plus the hole. Sorry that this is vague answer!

Bruce.

How deep is the threaded hole?

4 pot engines use a dry seal  aluminium plug in that sort or position.   Pt no ps1103  is 1/2” Diameter thread.  To fit you grip the end of the stick with vise grips and screw in tight. Cut and file flush as required.   If you countersink the start of the hole you could peen the end of the aluminium over to help seal.  Use a suitable sealant.

How many can you screw in before they cover a sideways drilling?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-PS1103

image.jpeg.dd4a94cacccbf8a2f14a73087e4472f9.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 2/18/2021 at 2:12 PM, Fresh6 said:

is that pipe thread or straight thread?

1/2" NF straight thread.

It is what is used at the front end of the same gallery to seal it.

Peter W

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/engine/engines-components/external-engine-tr5-6-1967-76.html

image.thumb.png.cd2aea90c14f852c23c01c9734c525fc.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT