Intermittent wipers, with wash wipe too !

24 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Something like this -

20210222_111339.jpg.cc1a1229b1c523052fe833236f4e2d6e.jpg 

Diode is to protect base emitter junction from transients. 1N4004 etc.

Any similar PNP transistor would do, this was just one I knew about. IC max 1A, HFE 50

Bob.

Thanks Bob

in this application do we need the 1k to +12v, bearing in mind that the self park goes to 12v when the wipers are not parked? (And thus will turn the pnp off?)

Another useful PNP transistor (which I have lots of if you want a couple) is the BC327 rated at 0.8A collector current min HFE of 40

I don't know what your wash wipe device draws from the park input - do you ?

Bob.

1 minute ago, Lebro said:

Another useful PNP transistor (which I have lots of if you want a couple) is the BC327 rated at 0.8A collector current min HFE of 40

I don't know what your wash wipe device draws from the park input - do you ?

Bob.

I also thought the bc327 might be ideal, and have ordered a few to experiment with Bob

i dont have specs for the washwipe relay , might measure, but it won’t be high as at mist its relay coil current

thanks for the suggestions Bob!

49 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

As it’s drizzling outside i may go for a test to Sainsbury.....

Continued success!

i now have the unit wired in to replace low speed wipe with intermittent, really like it in this configuration.

intermittent is sufficient for light rain, fast wipe for torrential

i think i most like the washwipe function, really good for cleaning the screen and then returning to intermittent :-)

i’ll experiment with transistors when they arrive in the post, it would be ideal if they can be fitted inside the relay box but i’m doubtful.

will -rovide an update later in the week

Steve

TRansistors arrived in the post, so i mocked up the necessary circuit driving an led and a relay for test purposes

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhDJKiWSrX7_v35P0p4gsM2G8eTr

working nicely!

next step is to see if i can fit these components into the Cargo intermittent unit......

Rebuilt the intermittent wipe unit with the TRansistor circuit today and it’s working nicely

was not able to get everything into the relay box today but there is sufficient space so i may try again

once it’s tested for a while i’ll publish the details, or canvass orders !

steve

3 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Rebuilt the intermittent wipe unit with the TRansistor circuit today and it’s working nicely

was not able to get everything into the relay box today but there is sufficient space so i may try again

once it’s tested for a while i’ll publish the details, or canvass orders !

steve

Nice one Steve.

B)

sounds good to me. Thanks Steve.

If I recall you suggested in the OP that it was adjustable correction ;  programmable  .. is that for speed or frequency of wipe ?

Edited by Bfg

Hi guys

the unit is a programmable one, but the implementation in the TR circuit negates the programability unfortunately.

i’m still testing, there is a little chatter in the relay at the moment that i dont like.

Maplin unit did this too, i think its a function of the old TR electrics but I’d like to address it

watch put dor updates!

6 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

there is a little chatter in the relay at the moment that i dont like.

I'm told Lucas gremlins sit around chattering as they smoke their pipes :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

The unit has performed reliably in testing..... almost ‘fit and forget’ as i had forgotten about it already !

I’m happy that the TRansistor circuit is the way to go, so will work some more on how to integrate the circuit better with the relay, as i haven’t managed to fit the TRansistor and other compoenents inside just yet

watch this space.....

steve

• 4 months later...

Hi Harry, other prospective customers !

i’ve thoroughly tested the prototype unit now, including at a very wet Castle Coombe....., and it’s worked faultlessly.

however i’ve not built any more due to life getting in the way :-)

i think the design is proven now, but i’d want to improve the ‘productness’ of the unit and ideally hide all the additional components.

i did try to fit everything inside the ‘relay’ box but wasnt successful, so am thinking i might box up the whole unit and add a termination block for external connections.

i’ll look into this and report back, aiming to finalise in August ( this year :-) )

steve

Hi Steve

I've not been following this thread properly.

Regarding connecting the box to the car why nit use something like a DIN plug/socket. I did this on my logic box.

That way the car loom has the plug and the box has the socket

Roger

P1070098a.jpg

Thanks Roger, good idea.

my thinking is to make integration as simple and flexible as possible.

if the unit was only for one model i’d solder on the appropriate spade connectors for an ‘unplug and play’ solution, but it needs more flexibility

might deliver with bare wires or research the wiring for 4/4a/5/6cp/cr if i’m nored one afternoon..... i suspect they are actually all very similar if they use the same 2 speed self park wiper motor??

steve

Hi Steve,

I'd quite like to have a go at making one of these for myself, if you're willing to provide some guidance (parts, diagrams, photos?). But either way, love your work :)

John

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hi Steve,

I'd quite like to have a go at making one of these for myself, if you're willing to provide some guidance (parts, diagrams, photos?). But either way, love your work :)

John

Its really simple John so youll be fine, and yes i’m happy to provide info.

its been a while so i need to get the prototype out of the car to remind myself how it ended up...... age eh!

then i can order some parts and experiment with the best method of integrating the additional parts.

they should  fit inside the delay relay unit but there’s not much room and i gave up the last time i tried....

i’ll try to get to this in the next week....

steve

11 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Thanks Roger, good idea.

my thinking is to make integration as simple and flexible as possible.

if the unit was only for one model i’d solder on the appropriate spade connectors for an ‘unplug and play’ solution, but it needs more flexibility

might deliver with bare wires or research the wiring for 4/4a/5/6cp/cr if i’m nored one afternoon..... i suspect they are actually all very similar if they use the same 2 speed self park wiper motor??

steve

The wiring is different between models Steve, TR4 only had single speed, TR4a has 2 speed and different wiring. TR5 has 2 speed with wiring similar to a 4a. TR6 has 2 speed and different wiring again.

Stuart.

Steve,

Here is another way to get connections through to the outside world.
In this case the connectors came from an old dynamo control box I had, but they are standard ¼ inch connectors readily available. Silly thing is that plastic project boxes with lids can sometimes cost more than the actual components they house.

(My project was a Low-Fuel/High-Temp warning device. Problem is I like designing things, but get bored when it comes to actually fitting them. It’s been on the shelf for 12 months! )

Charlie.Connections.jpg.5bb3a6d142bccfd8b0801e08d134b8a1.jpg