Intermittent wipers, with wash wipe too !

Hi Allan,

correct me if I am wrong but I think Steve has explained that it will run a single speed DR3A motor but I'm sure you may have issues with a the two speed DR3 motor

To make the DR3 run intermittent  you need to ground the  Green/Red wire coming from the motor - this should give a slow wipe.

I think Steve's clever little circuit operates on the positive side of the motor.

Roger

Progress update, First Edition units are tested and finished ready for shipping :-)

each unit has today been wired into my TR6 and tested

all Four worked correctly providing intermittent wipe timing and also four wipes of the wipers when the washers are operated.

I do still need to finalise the instructions / info sheet and buy some jiffy bags then they can be off to their new lives.

for those with earlier cars i will explain how the units work in the instructions which should allow them to be wired into cars other than a CR TR6

for the CR TR6 I will explain exactly how to wire the unit.

i have chosen not to terminate the wires so buyers will need to add appropriate connectors to suit their installation 

the units are wrapped in Tesa loom tape for protection, and they look great i think !

steve

CE892BF6-5E39-42B0-AE78-FD5DE1197366.jpeg

21 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Progress update, First Edition units are tested and finished ready for shipping :-)

each unit has today been wired into my TR6 and tested

all Four worked correctly providing intermittent wipe timing and also four wipes of the wipers when the washers are operated.

I do still need to finalise the instructions / info sheet and buy some jiffy bags then they can be off to their new lives.

for those with earlier cars i will explain how the units work in the instructions which should allow them to be wired into cars other than a CR TR6

for the CR TR6 I will explain exactly how to wire the unit.

i have chosen not to terminate the wires so buyers will need to add appropriate connectors to suit their installation 

the units are wrapped in Tesa loom tape for protection, and they look great i think !

steve

CE892BF6-5E39-42B0-AE78-FD5DE1197366.jpeg

They look great - very professional!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone !

i’m very pleased with how the units turned out, and how much effort it was to make and test 4 of them in one go.

i’ll be home on Friday so will make a start on the instruction sheet then, and aim  to post the First Edition units early next week ( once the jiffy bags arrive)

The price will be £25 plus postage, which  I expect to be about £3.50 for uk first class post.

i’m thinking of making another small batch in September, depending upon availability of the relays.

Steve

I found some time today to draft the instructions, including an Addendum on how the circuit is constructed for those who want to build upon the concept!

jiffy bags also arrived so the First Edition units will be in the post soon :-)

9368F863-E01D-4CC3-82AC-81858E9D3CFC.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Steve.

I have ordered the 1060749 relay today (£9.75 from Ebay) I intend using it on my TR3, which has the later TR3A motor (single speed, with the switch connecting the motor to earth.

Looking at your diagram, "31" is clearly the -ve ground connection.

"T" is a +ve connection to the electric washer button.

"15" +ve feed to relay from ignition switch.

"56M" not sure.

"53S"  not sure.

"I" +ve pulse input to trigger (transistor used to invert).

Why does the the "park / run" from motor connect to 53S.  Why does 56M connect to "int feed to motor".

I'm sure I could work all this out if I knew the actual workings of the delay relay !

Bob.

Hi Bob

the instructions are specific to the tr6, they will not work for a tr3

on the tr6 the park wire from the motor is connected to the low speed feed to the motor when the wipers are switched off, this is how the park circuit works

the relay is effectively a spdt switch controlled intermittently 

The spdt contacts are 53m is the centre contact, 53s is NC and 15 is NO

thus my design replicates the tr6 switch effectively switching from off to slow briefly to start each intermittent wipe, and utilising the park circuit to complete the wipe. 

your challenge will be triggering the intermittent function, as there is no trigger reaching the switch you’ll need to wire to the motor and pickup the segmented earth park contact,

also the relay unit fundamentally wants to switch a positive feen not a negative, so i think you’ll need a power transistor or similar to switch negative.

should all be doable but i don’t have an early car to experiment on

HTH

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after quite a few hours of experimenting, I have now got the delay relay to work on my TR3. (DR3A motor)  This motor has a 12V feed from the ignition switch, & the wiper switch supplies the earth connection to make it run. Once moving the self park mechanism takes over the earth connection until the wipers are in the park position where it goes open circuit.

So, everything was the wrong way round for the Cargo relay !

I wanted to make the change easily reversable, so I have kept the wiper switch on the earth side, only change was to use a lighting switch instead, to give two positions. (Pull for delayed wipe, & twist & pull again for normal wiper action).

I used a transistor to invert this signal before feeding it into "I" on the relay.  I then had to figure a way to trigger the delayed wipe. I ended up taking the change in voltage on the internal relay coil (which earths the coil when active), & AC coupling that into another transistor to invert the pulse. That was then fed into the circuitry where 53S used to go. I had to isolate the relay contacts from the existing circuitry in order to use it to switch on the motor (earth switching remember)

& I am not using the NC contact at all.

It all works, including the 4 wipes when screen wash is used (no mods required for that one) All the mods are done inside the relay case, & it is located at the wiper motor position. The original wiring for the motor can easily be regained by simply plugging the wires direct to the motor, & removing the relay.

20211023_143405.thumb.jpg.34d9862cda4d54dbfd129eb6b377d0af.jpg 20211023_143409.thumb.jpg.42b352a9aaec7471d65dd2bf9b88e683.jpg 20211023_143436.thumb.jpg.82c0664adb8dcd37f930dfa7e27e650a.jpg 20211023_143421.thumb.jpg.1699609112e8e82381947942d500673f.jpg 20211023_175337.thumb.jpg.a30e3739ca9e6e1746e4b14c16ef3577.jpg

I will post the circuit diagram when I re-draw it neatly !

Bob

P.S.   I will NOT be offering to do any more like this !!!

Edited by Lebro
18 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Well after quite a few hours of experimenting, I have now got the delay relay to work on my TR3. (DR3A motor)  This motor has a 12V feed from the ignition switch, & the wiper switch supplies the earth connection to make it run. Once moving the self park mechanism takes over the earth connection until the wipers are in the park position where it goes open circuit.

So, everything was the wrong way round for the Cargo relay !

I wanted to make the change easily reversable, so I have kept the wiper switch on the earth side, only change was to use a lighting switch instead, to give two positions. (Pull for delayed wipe, & twist & pull again for normal wiper action).

I used a transistor to invert this signal before feeding it into "I" on the relay.  I then had to figure a way to trigger the delayed wipe. I ended up taking the change in voltage on the internal relay coil (which earths the coil when active), & AC coupling that into another transistor to invert the pulse. That was then fed into the circuitry where 53S used to go. I had to isolate the relay contacts from the existing circuitry in order to use it to switch on the motor (earth switching remember)

& I am not using the NC contact at all.

It all works, including the 4 wipes when screen wash is used (no mods required for that one) All the mods are done inside the relay case, & it is located at the wiper motor position. The original wiring for the motor can easily be regained by simply plugging the wires direct to the motor, & removing the relay.

20211023_143405.thumb.jpg.34d9862cda4d54dbfd129eb6b377d0af.jpg 20211023_143409.thumb.jpg.42b352a9aaec7471d65dd2bf9b88e683.jpg 20211023_143436.thumb.jpg.82c0664adb8dcd37f930dfa7e27e650a.jpg 20211023_143421.thumb.jpg.1699609112e8e82381947942d500673f.jpg 20211023_175337.thumb.jpg.a30e3739ca9e6e1746e4b14c16ef3577.jpg

I will post the circuit diagram when I re-draw it neatly !

Bob

P.S.   I will NOT be offering to do any more like this !!!

Well done Bob, presumably that could then be further adapted for the later 2 speed motors as well?

Stuart.

Stuart. To be honest there are easier ways of doing it. For the DR3A motor, if I was starting again, I would build a delay circuit from scratch, using easily available timer integrated circuits e.g. NE555 etc.  The 4A wiper motor (2 speed) also switches the earth side, so similar problems will exist, also you would need a separate switch as the existing one already used both contacts for the two different speeds.  But yes, something similar could be done.

Actually, having a separate switch for delay, would make life easier, as it could feed +12V direct to the Cargo relay, instead of having to invert the polarity, but you would still need to do mods to the relay for it to self trigger, & probably use an external extra relay.

Bob.

Circuit added:

16674979_Delaycircuit.thumb.jpg.c48bf6f1c0a6219e90a55d1bc46aeff6.jpg

Click on to enlarge. 

A number of the functions of the terminals on the relay were re-allocated, for convenience. Note 53M & 53S are now joined, & act as a pass through for the full on wiper function.

Edited by Lebro

Great work Bob!

anything os possible….. but I agree that making these for others is just too much effort.

i’m unsure if i will make another batch for the tr6, i might but i did have to provide a lot of support for the previous batches !

steve

Im sure Moss used to sell a wiper delay unit many years ago but I think they dropped it as it was unreliable.

Stuart.

Moss still list the Smartscreen: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/wipers-washers/smartscreen-wiper-systems.html

However a number of us in North London have found it unreliable on both the single speed and 2 speed model wipers.

My experience in a TR4 was that it tended to have a mind of its own sometimes, behaving erratically. Contacting the manufacturer didn't yield an answer so I pulled it out and wired in a flick switch in place of the rheostat for single wipes.