Steering too light

I have been searching the forum for any issues regarding steering on TR4A.

There are lots of posts regarding the fitting of power steering but I can't find anything that addresses my problem.  I find that the steering on my car is too light.  At higher speeds I feel as if I have no control and it almost feels like the wheels are riding above the road surface.  Can anyone suggest why this would be the case - tyre pressures are 24 front and 28 rear.

Thanks

Bob

First thought was also to check the tracking. however it's also worth check that everything is tight ..from the tyres to the road-wheels on the hubs, to every joint in the steering column and the mounting of the rack.

All good points above.

I would start with looking at the rack mounts. 

Are they oil soaked? 

Get someone to twiddle the steering left to right and you look at the rack in the engine bay - is it moving from side to side? - it sould not. 

The issue is known as 'rack float'  and is why many have gone to solid rack mounts to grip the rack outer tube tightly to the chassis.  If you are concerned about harshness through the steering with solid rack mounts fit one only to the passenger's side and a new rubber one on the driver's side.  That eases the thump a bit.

Peter W

Thank you for the quick responses - I'll try to address some of the queries below .....

- wire wheels stripped and powder coated two years ago and new tyres fitted

- tyres are Vredestein Sprint Classic 165 R15 86H

- wheels were balanced and tracking sorted (nearside trailing arm replaced and both sides re-shimmed to get four wheel alignment sorted)

- tyres shouldn't be hard at this stage

- haven't checked tightness of mounts, etc. but will look at this as soon as lockdown finishes and I can get the car to a ramp

One further point - there is considerable vibration through the steering wheel once it hits 65mph so balance obviously needs looking at.  However, the steering has always been very light.  I will get balance and tracking done once I have managed to check all fittings and mounts.

Thank you, as always, for your thoughts and recommendations

Regards

Bob

I have had that wheel/tyre combo on my 4 and no steering issues, I suspect you can rule that out. Could be the rack issue although I think the inherent instability with the early TR4 rack was sorted by the later cars and certainly the 4A? The rack bolts can come loose of course but that would be progressive. Or not enough toe-in, that certainly sounds worth checking judging from the symptoms.

Nigel 

The symptoms fit too little castor trail, so check the castor angle. The king pin ( upright ) should incline such that  its base is forward of the ball joint. If trunnions have been fitted to wrong side of car the king pin inclination will be reversed and lead to very light steering and loss of self-centreing action. However the upper wishbones will also have to be misfitted or abused to allow that.

Peter

Hi

its worth looking at the large nut arrangement on top of the steering rack knuckle and which sets the pinion load on the rack. If this gets loose or the rack becomes worn here, the steering gets light at first. it gets very evident when you get a lot of play in the rack, but this happens gradually and at first the steering feels light then you start to feel the excessive movement of the steering wheel before you actually do any steering. 

regards

Tony