Electric Fuel Pump Instalation?

Having been let down by the fuel system yet again (3rd time in 3 months) I'm looking at the possibility of converting to electric pump, regulator and inertia switch. 

Has anyone done this recently and can advise on location of the various components, plumbing of fuel lines etc. Also, any views on choosing a solid state pump or a Facet unit?

Car is LHD if that makes a difference. Living in France I cant just 'pop down' to a local Motor factor to purchase bits of fuel hose etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

I fitted a Huco pump on the inner wing (not sure if you have room on a LHD car) so it's easily attached to the original set-up, with an inertia switch beside it, pump is a sucker and delivers a couple of pounds pressure so no need for a regulator.

I have the pump switched, for start-up for when the car has been idle for a while, and plumbed through the Delco pump.

https://fastroadcars.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=92&search=huco

https://fastroadcars.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=502&search=inertia

+1 for the Huco. It is sort of a modern equivalent of the old SU pump and its output pressure is suitable for the carburettors. 

You can buy a suitable inertia switch for about twelve  pounds or less:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inertia-Standard-Ignition-Electric-Replacement/dp/B08L35359X/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=inertia+switch+fuel&qid=1613501808&sr=8-6

Edited by RobH

+1 for a sucker huco pump and inertia switch. 
I have this set up on my 3a

Very compatible with my twin SUs pressure wise out of the box. 

You need to check that your fuel delivery pipes are ok. 
I had fuel delivery problems in competition and I went through 2 mechanical pumps and the huco. 
it turned out to be a 6 inch rubber pipe joining two metal pipes towards the back of the car. 

33282177-8B89-4086-87F8-766771796FD0.jpeg

2D5A4004-6E1F-4D6B-985F-32FA01CA9E12.jpeg

51BDCBAD-873D-4315-870E-BBA137B2E2EF.jpeg

22 hours ago, Adam Blackaby said:

Having been let down by the fuel system yet again (3rd time in 3 months) I'm looking at the possibility of converting to electric pump, regulator and inertia switch. 

Has anyone done this recently and can advise on location of the various components, plumbing of fuel lines etc. Also, any views on choosing a solid state pump or a Facet unit?

Car is LHD if that makes a difference. Living in France I cant just 'pop down' to a local Motor factor to purchase bits of fuel hose etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Local - ish suppliers for you. Facet rather than Huco.

Be aware of the maximum fuel pressure that SU carbs like It is probably under 4 psi.so a regulator might be required with Facet item. (Pression : 4 - 7 Psi / 0,28 - 0,48 bar)

https://www.oreca-store.com/vehicule/moteur/circuit-d-essence/pompe-a-essence/facet.html

or

https://www.mecatechnic.com/fr-FR/pompe-a-essence-electrique-facet-12v-0-28-a-0-48-bar_UC43514.htm

They ought to be able to do you with a length of suitable fuel proof hose too

TSH Used to sell the hell out of the Facet square solid state pumps.

Here is an Hitachi  pump in Lithuania  https://www.ebay.fr/itm/HITACHI-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-FEED-UNIT-133010-P-NEW-OE-REPLACEMENT/154326325524?_trkparms=aid%3D1110009%26algo%3DSPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200220094952%26meid%3D169b58e0e97044c98bfec7fd897da134%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D360758769989%26itm%3D154326325524%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3Ddefault%26brand%3DHitachi&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Peter W

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Huco Pump and Malpassi filter/regulator

BTW Huco is now owned by Hitachi

As added safety measure, also consider fitting Huco 132020 fuel pump relay. It picks up a feed from the -ve terninal of the coil such that if the engine stalls, ie stops rotating, the relay cuts the power to the pump

Phil

When my TR4 was seriously upgraded powerwise way back in 1990 a Facet fuel pump was fitted and remains to this day. Only failed twice and it is such a simple fix - a tap with a spanner or small piece of metal and then ok.

Facet pump in my TR4A, and an inertia switch too. Read the instructions with the Facet pump as it has to be mounted with the correct orientation. Also I put a fuel filter between the tank and the pump.

Jim

073827DB-0AC7-47D5-9744-A9D7AC516601.jpeg

Edited by Tr4aJim
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I am looking to replace my mechanical SU pump with a Huco one as I'm fed up with the leaks on the cover of the SU.  I plan to wire the pump off the coil using the Huco 132020 fuel pump relay but this seems to be unavailable at the moment.  I assume that there is a generic version of this relay which looks to be 5 pin - can someone more knowledgeable point me to an alternative relay I would fit in place of the Huco one?

Thanks

Myles

Any automotive relay will do - there's no need to use the Huco one.  The  Huco 132020 is ignition controlled but you can do that with any relay by connecting  the relay coil to the ignition supply and using  a separate feed to the pump via the relay contacts. 

However it is important that you also install an inertia cut-off switch, so that in the event of a collision or inversion the supply to the pump will be cut off irrespective of the ignition. 554042785_fuelpump2.jpg.c9b4922143d8756560b2357da2743800.jpg

Edited by RobH
Just now, woodward said:

however if I want to wire the relay from the coil so that the pump cuts out when the engine stalls etc

You can't really do that without great complication - the power remains on the ignition circuit if the engine stalls so you would somehow have to sense the lack of engine rotation and that makes it difficult when starting the engine because the pump won't run at first.....

I can't see any reason to want it actually.  If the engine stalls it stops using fuel and the Huco pump won't pump any more once the float chambers are full.  It is a diaphragm pump like the SU type and the contacts that operate the pump solenoid only 'make' when the fuel pressure drops. It doesn't pump continuously. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

You can't really do that without great complication - the power remains on the ignition circuit if the engine stalls so you would somehow have to sense the lack of engine rotation and that makes it difficult when starting the engine because the pump won't run at first.....

I can't see any reason to want it actually.  If the engine stalls it stops using fuel and the Huco pump won't pump any more once the float chambers are full.  It is a diaphragm pump like the SU type and the contacts that operate the pump solenoid only 'make' when the fuel pressure drops. It doesn't pump continuously. 

Use an oil pressure switch as a cut out. No pressure no pump.

Stuart.

Got my Metro Turbo cheaply because the engine cut out when hot.  The problem was the oil pressure switch was cattled.  New switch fixed it, until the  rear engine mount bracket broke then the lay gear went bang.    Still sold it for a profit.      You could observe the oil pressure light coming on just before the engine cut out.  

Adam - how come three fuel pumps have failed in 3 months - were they all repros?

By all means fit an electric pump and associated wiring etc, but I'm not aware of reliability problems with original AC Delco pumps, and reconditioned pumps from Dave Davies should be fine - if you haven't got an OE one , I have a few left I am prepared to sell outright - see my response to Mile's post in the technical forum 

Cheers Rich

8 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Adam - how come three fuel pumps have failed in 3 months - were they all repros?

By all means fit an electric pump and associated wiring etc, but I'm not aware of reliability problems with original AC Delco pumps, and reconditioned pumps from Dave Davies should be fine - if you haven't got an OE one , I have a few left I am prepared to sell outright - see my response to Mile's post in the technical forum 

Cheers Rich

Whoops - only just noticed the original post was three years ago  -sorry!

Cheers Rich