Throttle cable on cp series pi

Hi all 

I hope to start on renewing my throttle cable,the manifold end seems relatively straightforward but the brown book is a little brief about the bulk head fitting and pedal attachments.Are there any hidden nasties there and how does the bulk head washer come grommet thing come apart ready for new cable ,Any comments would be most appreciated 

stay safe all. Nige

I think that the cable comes complete with the fittings to pass through the bulkhead.

Tim

Nige,

just a warning, there have been some poor TR6 cables supplied,  a friend fitted a new one and within a month when pressing the acc pedal, the fitting pulled straight thro the bulkhead. Not good especially when overtaking etc.

One of the more careful suppliers has even stopped supplying the new ones now since he's not prepared to be associated with them.

See how good a fit your new one is, possibly the old fitting may be best, if you can re-use it.

I've attached a pic of my method prevent this happennng, not pretty but reliable.

Bob

Accelerator Mod.jpg

Nige,

Another aspect is to adjust the limit-bolt (item 10 in the Moss link above) under the pedal (in the cabin), which prevents the force applied by your heavy foot  is loading the cable as it is at the end of it’s stroke.

Waldi

Hi Nige,

I had problems with 2 cables purchased from one of the suppliers, the second cable lasted 5 minutes before pulling through the bulkhead.

I then purchased a motorcycle brake cable kit from Venhill. It involved cutting the outer and inner cables, and soldering on a nipple. That was nearly 2 years ago, and no problems. I can plant my foot on the pedal with confidence. Photo attached.

Cheers,

Mark.

cable.jpg

The OEM green throttle cable is a rare thing as is a period replacement, but they do crop up on eBay from time-to-time. I bought a few of these a few years ago from Fitchett's which have proper brass ferrules and have had one fitted for about 5,000 miles without any issues; it replaced a useless repro on from Moss which pulled straight through the bulkhead within minutes on the outside lane of the M3 at Sunbury - that shows how far I got from Moss.......:huh:

Cheers, Andrew

1458901566_TR6ThrottleCable.thumb.jpg.b72f12b7bf11dabae82f85bf88aec272.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith

It’s surprising there are so many bad experiences on such a simple item. Did anyone raise a PQI? I feel it should not be needed, but it is a structured way in bringing this to the suppliers attention.

Waldi

13 hours ago, Waldi said:

It’s surprising there are so many bad experiences on such a simple item. Did anyone raise a PQI? I feel it should not be needed, but it is a structured way in bringing this to the suppliers attention.

Waldi

Same old problem Waldi, the majority of suppliers manufacture to a price the market will bear and not to a high quality which would be far more expensive - it's not a just Moss problem, but pretty widespread and has been for years that's why I always look for NOS or good used original parts when available.

As for the PQI scheme, what significant successes have there been in recent times?

Cheers, Andrew

17 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

The OEM green throttle cable is a rare thing as is a period replacement, but they do crop up on eBay from time-to-time. I bought a few of these a few years ago from Fitchett's which have proper brass ferrules and have had one fitted for about 5,000 miles without any issues; it replaced a useless repro on from Moss which pulled straight through the bulkhead within minutes on the outside lane of the M3 at Sunbury - that shows how far I got from Moss.......:huh:

Cheers, Andrew

And that is the one you told to buy when  my cable failed .....years  ago !!

I bought his last two ....or do he said so at the time !!!

Edited by Crawfie

Hi Andrew,

there was one “succes” that I know of (there may be more) with the bonnet catch that had lead to improved design at Moss and maybe also the others. The TR Register simply has a bigger lever to the suppliers.

If PQI does not “deliver”, we, the members have a steak in that. 

Example:
I have several small items, that include a new throttle cable (!) on my shelves, where I did not like the quality but did not find it worth the effort of complaining. Sounds familiar?

Cheers,

Waldi

On 2/19/2021 at 8:01 PM, Andrew Smith said:

Cheers, Andrew

Mark had the right idea by using motorcycle cable parts as they can be purchased individually and you can use PTFE lined Bowden cable jacket.  As there seems to be a lot of problems with complete cables, you cannot bemoan the quality if you don't go to the trouble of completing Roger's quality report form.  This is one of many items that has had quality problems for ten years or more.  Lastly, there are a number of British suppliers that produce original OEM motorcycle cable assemblies who would, no doubt, be pleased to quote for this type of business.

Bruce

1 hour ago, astontr6 said:

Mark had the right idea by using motorcycle cable parts as they can be purchased individually and you can use PTFE lined Bowden cable jacket.  As there seems to be a lot of problems with complete cables, you cannot bemoan the quality if you don't go to the trouble of completing Roger's quality report form.  This is one of many items that has had quality problems for ten years or more.  Lastly, there are a number of British suppliers that produce original OEM motorcycle cable assemblies who would, no doubt, be pleased to quote for this type of business.

Bruce

As you say Bruce, this problem has existed for over 10 years and most owners find their own solution.  I trust the 'bemoan' comment was a generalisation?

Cheers, Andrew