I currently run a 1981 2.0L DHC which, to my surprise, I have to remove and replace the front headlight panel. I have already taken delivery of the replacement panel supplied by Robsport Int'l. However, before removing the old panel, I want to remove and store the 'Triumph' badge from the panel. My question is; does anyone have any experience of removing this badge and, if so, how did they do it without damaging the badge as I want to place it on the new panel after spraying.

20200205_122813.JPG

20200417_101534.jpg

If your front panel needs replacing when it looks that good in the photographs, there must be many more cars out there with hidden rust issues.
Your panel from Robsport was one of the first batch commissioned by the TRDC and TR Spares Development Fund, John Clancy at the TRDC is the contact point for any enquiries.
Ian

I agree, the panel looks good from the outside but...... underneath the frame is B...dy rotten!!  FYI The panel was originally bought directly from John Clancy, shipped to Robsport, etch primed and stored for me until I could collect it; however due to Covid restrictions, I had it delivered. Robsport were great and I'm really impressed with the panel.

XKC3902 - front badge is attached with double sided adhesive tape to the painted body.

VERY CAREFULLY - Slide a sharp blade under it as close to the paint as you can.  You want to detatch the adhesive pad from the body paint work nor from the badge.

Cheers

Peter W

image.png.9e21de18fcd7cf94caf0381bc63cb0cc.png

Emrys, if you are scrapping the panel then I would be more careful with the badge, as Peter has shown (with one of Brian Ridley Jones' new badges" they are stuck on with double sided tape which is easily available from eBay or the paint suppliers. 

You can remove the badge quite easily with a long blade /scraper or "Dentil floss" !  It is worth warming the badge up carefully first.

It would be worth noting the exact positioning of the badge as they do look strange in the wrong location.

Regards

Ian

Edited by TR8IAN
  • 2 weeks later...