Strong fuel smell

16 hours ago, Richard71 said:

Very pricey Stuart, do you know if they'll supply by the meter?

Richard.

No idea, you would have to ask them.

Stuart.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:45 AM, stuart said:

Oh yes it is https://www.gates.com/gb/en/search.p.4219-000000-000000.v.4219-5652.html

16 bar is more than capable.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart - I think we are talking about different things. I agree the Gates hose in the link is good for use on a PI system. When I said "R14" I was talking about hose to SAE J30 R14, which is a 50 psi rated hose.

Steve 

24 minutes ago, SteveB21 said:

Hi Stuart - I think we are talking about different things. I agree the Gates hose in the link is good for use on a PI system. When I said "R14" I was talking about hose to SAE J30 R14, which is a 50 psi rated hose.

Steve 

The 4219BF that I have in stock is rated to 225psi and is R14 spec  https://www.gates.com/gb/en/search.p.4219-000000-000003.v.4219-06038.html

You need to look up the proper spec, R14 is the permeability spec not the working pressure spec.

Gates do a multitude of different spec hoses and a lot of them are available over here if you do a proper search.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
On 2/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, Graham said:

The cap on my car is I believe a US spec one and it has a 'breather port visible when the cap is open, think this went to the charcoal canister on us spec cars, but as I didi n't have the canister fitted (its a UK car) and the plug in the breather port wasn't doing its job, spilt fuel collected in the port and then dripped into the boot, plus when the weather got warm (not a situation we have at the moment !) the fuel vapour would vent via this port back into the boot. 

A blob of araldite  and all sorted now :ph34r:

But guess it will be a case of  completely emptying the boot inc the trim, looking back up this thread,  look at all the 'possibles' then work through them until you find you culprit.  

But if it ONLY smells after filing up then logic would dictate starting at the top and working down

Many thanks Graham. Further inspection suggests it's the cork gasket on the fuel sender.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:25 PM, SteveB21 said:

Just be aware that R14 is not a high pressure fuel hose, so not suitable for the high pressure side of a PI system - but definitely ok for a low pressure filler connection!

David - I’m not that far from you (Weybridge) so happy to help once lockdown eases. As others have said, it sounds like your first check is is the filler connections, easily accessed by removing the boot trim. 

I can recommend Rees Bros in Aldershot if you need a decent TR garage close by. You also have Crown Classics up in Twickenham.

Welcome to TR6 ownership!

Steve

Many thanks Steve. It looks like my fuel pipes are new, as does the Bosch fuel pump & filter. Think I have tracked it to the fuel sender gasket, which I have ordered. Glad you are close by and really appreciate your offer to help, after lockdown. This is my 1st TR6, which is taking some getting used too. I am taking the car to Rees Bros on Thurs as they are going to help me with bonnet alignment and adjust my exhaust pipe, which appears to be quite low to the ground. I might get them to do the sender gasket while I am there.

13 minutes ago, richard61 said:

If you look on the BBC News web site today and look at the section on masks they have a photo of one TR drivers idea!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56085529

Scroll down, its a TR4

Stuart.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:47 PM, Strong fuel smell said:

Many thanks Steve. It looks like my fuel pipes are new, as does the Bosch fuel pump & filter. Think I have tracked it to the fuel sender gasket, which I have ordered. Glad you are close by and really appreciate your offer to help, after lockdown. This is my 1st TR6, which is taking some getting used too. I am taking the car to Rees Bros on Thurs as they are going to help me with bonnet alignment and adjust my exhaust pipe, which appears to be quite low to the ground. I might get them to do the sender gasket while I am there.

I've always found Andy & Richard at Rees Bros very helpful and they will happily advise you on key things to check if this is your first TR6.

2 hours ago, SteveB21 said:

I've always found Andy & Richard at Rees Bros very helpful and they will happily advise you on key things to check if this is your first TR6.

I’ve had good experiences at Rees Bros too.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, SteveB21 said:

Steve 

Hi Steve,

There are two type one rated at 223psi for injection, Pump to M/U the other at 50psi for fuel return to tank but only rated for carbs. I have used both on my car for over 4 years.

Bruce.

1 hour ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Steve,

There are two type one rated at 223psi for injection, Pump to M/U the other at 50psi for fuel return to tank but only rated for carbs. I have used both on my car for over 4 years.

Bruce.

Actually if you go onto the Gates home page they do a multitude of R14 spec hoses with varying pressure capabilities. R14 is the specification for permeability and fuel type.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update. I have replaced the low pressure fuel hoses on the car (5/16”) and also put a new viton gasket for the fuel sender. I replaced the fuel filter last year so left this as it was. I gave the boot space a good clean and removed everything that was in there. So far there is no petrol smell in the boot after two days. I’ll keep checking and will keep the boot empty for next few days. I did replace the old steel tank (it was over 52 years old I guess) so it was easy to make all the connections and check these were tight / not leaking. My main suspicion is the fuel sender gasket was causing the leak / smell of petrol. The old gasket was cork and extremely brittle and there were stains which made me think it had / was leaking.

Anyway, I will have the boot formally signed off by my better half. If she passes it fit then I know it has cured the issue and one step closer to getting her to use the TR for trips away without clothes smelling of Super Unleaded. Trips only to start per lockdown relaxation and within England of course!

I was facing this strong fuel smell and after quite long researchs I managed to find where it came from.... the drain plug gasket. Quite impossible to find as the leak was very small’(but strong smell :-). )

i could find the leak with an idea I had which could help several of you. I put white paper sheets under the tank and the hoses... after one week i had the surprise to discover I had a leak from the tank ( by chance I discovered it was restored 20 yeas ago and had no rust)

taking into account good advices, i did not put any fiber gasket but a copper one

I hope I solved the problem.... result next weekend

CDB83E1C-DCDA-4722-B55E-0AB2C8687522.jpeg

Is it possible to remove the sender mentioned by Martin and change the gasket without removing the tank?

I also have a smell of fuel in the boot of my TR6 which I have been unable to find the source and fix. If it’s possible to change this gasket without removing the tank I’d do this just to eliminate a possible source.

Rob.

yes you can replace the gasket with the tank in place. the plug is on the right. You can by underneath. There is a hole in the boot with a cap (to remove) which allows to access the drain..... (remember it is aimed to drain the tank :-D)

Edited by Jctr6EFI72
22 hours ago, Martin50 said:

Sorry, meant to say. Moss Europe offer part 293- 401.

Is it possible to change the sender gasket without removing the tank. I got the message about the drain plug but it’s the sender gasket I’m interested in changing if it’s possible without removing the tank.

Cheers.

Rob 

8 minutes ago, Rob Y said:

Is it possible to change the sender gasket without removing the tank. I got the message about the drain plug but it’s the sender gasket I’m interested in changing if it’s possible without removing the tank.

Cheers.

Rob 

It is just possible but you would need a small 1/4" socket drive screw driver to undo the screws.

Stuart.

Well i m not really sure you can replace fuel sender gasket without removing tank....very little space for screwdriver but even if done I don t see how to remove the float