Strong fuel smell

Hi Guys and Girls,

New member here. Just picked up my TR6 last Friday.

After a short drive home I decided to fill the car up with fresh fuel, as the car had about quarter of a tank. Not sure how old this fuel was.

Anyway, once I refuelled, there is a strong smell of fuel in the boot and the cabin, with roof up.

Thinking about just tightening the pipes in the boot, in case one has come loose. Will also be looking for any obvious leaks

What else and where else should I be looking for the cause of this smell.

Thanks

David

Thanks Roger,

I am not sure how old the rubber lines are, so could do with changing.

Can you recommend what pipe I should replace with, as I have read on the forum to use the type that does not react to ethanol fuel.

I appreciate your response

David 

Hi David, as it happened directly after a tank fill, check the hose connections between the filler cap and the petrol tank just under the rear deck (you may have to remove the boot trim panel first), two big wire drive clips hold the hose here, also check what you can see of the tank for rust which may be hiding  pin holes in the tank.

Cheers Rob

David - if you find your tank is leaking, I may be able to help you with a new alloy fuel tank - have sent you a PM ( personal message ) - go to the envelope icon in the top right hand corner on the page and open your mailbox and the message will be in there

Cheers Rich 

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi David,

I think R16 hose is the latest version. I'm sure somebody will correct that if it is wrong.

Roger

R14 Is currently top spec for fuel hose.

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Strong fuel smell said:

Thanks Roger,

I am not sure how old the rubber lines are, so could do with changing.

Can you recommend what pipe I should replace with, as I have read on the forum to use the type that does not react to ethanol fuel.

I appreciate your response

David 

The high pressure grade of Gates Barricade.

19 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Cork seal on the tank sender unit, was said to be a suspect.

John.

Thanks John

20 hours ago, stuart said:

R14 Is currently top spec for fuel hose.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

6 hours ago, Strong fuel smell said:

cork seal on sender

+1 for this gasket or filler cap pipe if ok before fill up

Edited by roy53

The cap on my car is I believe a US spec one and it has a 'breather port visible when the cap is open, think this went to the charcoal canister on us spec cars, but as I didi n't have the canister fitted (its a UK car) and the plug in the breather port wasn't doing its job, spilt fuel collected in the port and then dripped into the boot, plus when the weather got warm (not a situation we have at the moment !) the fuel vapour would vent via this port back into the boot. 

A blob of araldite  and all sorted now :ph34r:

But guess it will be a case of  completely emptying the boot inc the trim, looking back up this thread,  look at all the 'possibles' then work through them until you find you culprit.  

But if it ONLY smells after filing up then logic would dictate starting at the top and working down

2 hours ago, Graham said:

The cap on my car is I believe a US spec one and it has a 'breather port visible when the cap is open, think this went to the charcoal canister on us spec cars, but as I didi n't have the canister fitted (its a UK car) and the plug in the breather port wasn't doing its job, spilt fuel collected in the port and then dripped into the boot, plus when the weather got warm (not a situation we have at the moment !) the fuel vapour would vent via this port back into the boot. 

But guess it will be a case of  completely emptying the boot inc the trim, looking back up this thread,  look at all the 'possibles' then work through them until you find you culprit.  

But if it ONLY smells after filing up then logic would dictate starting at the top and working down

Which design fuel cap do you have?

You need a fuel vent into the fuel tank.

PI cars have a hole pierced through the fuel filler cap seal to facilitate this

David and all,

I’m new to the Register but I’ve had my TR6 since 2007. I must admit I do have smell of petrol in the boot and it has been on my to do list for quite sometime. Appreciate the discussion and suggestions raised. I too also had problem with petrol cap and eventually realised it was not venting. I had a hiss come from the tank when I opened the cap. It was pulling a vacuum as far I can see which in turn was causing the pump to drop pressure and the engine started to stall. I now have vented petrol cap and no issues. I have an early 1969 TR6 with the original Lucas fuel pump. Touch wood never had any problems with pump to date (ethanol was an issue to seals in the MU). But pride comes before a fall.

Anyway I’m motivated now to look at resolving this. Will start from top of tank, and stay with low pressure pipes. I struggle to see HP pipes leaking but lets see. Really hoping to not have to take the tank out.

Keep in touch or please flag if you find a source to your petrol smell.

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Which design fuel cap do you have?

You need a fuel vent into the fuel tank.

PI cars have a hole pierced through the fuel filler cap seal to facilitate this

Yes I’ve got a hole in the seal 

8 hours ago, Graham said:

Not sure araldite will resist to fuel.... must be checked

Just be aware that R14 is not a high pressure fuel hose, so not suitable for the high pressure side of a PI system - but definitely ok for a low pressure filler connection!

David - I’m not that far from you (Weybridge) so happy to help once lockdown eases. As others have said, it sounds like your first check is is the filler connections, easily accessed by removing the boot trim. 

I can recommend Rees Bros in Aldershot if you need a decent TR garage close by. You also have Crown Classics up in Twickenham.

Welcome to TR6 ownership!

Steve

13 hours ago, SteveB21 said:

Just be aware that R14 is not a high pressure fuel hose, so not suitable for the high pressure side of a PI system - but definitely ok for a low pressure filler connection!

Oh yes it is https://www.gates.com/gb/en/search.p.4219-000000-000000.v.4219-5652.html

16 bar is more than capable.

Stuart.

25 minutes ago, stuart said:

Oh yes it is https://www.gates.com/gb/en/search.p.4219-000000-000000.v.4219-5652.html

16 bar is more than capable.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

This is what I used on my car but I could not obtain it in the UK? Even through Gates UK official agents.  Therefore a friend of mine in the USA got me enough to do my car. I also used it on the low pressure side as well. I would be interested to know if you have found a UK supplier?

Bruce.

this will  probably not help much with the original problem described but others may find this to be of general interest.

My 6 has twice caused me to worry about fuel smells.

The first time was the weekend after I first had it and came down to one of the copper compression washers failing to seal after a couple of hundred miles drive across the country.  Hertfordshire to Bristol.got worried about the smell when stuck in traffic.  stopped at a service station, opened the boot and saw the petrol mist emanating from one of the HP connections. That was very worrying!.  I did have some tools but the spanners were all too small so the kind AA man came along, slackened off the connection then slightly rotated the washer before tightening again.  I carried spare washers and bigger spanners for the next few thousand miles before deciding to do the job properly - (the fix was working OK so why interfere with it).

The second occasion was to see fuel dripping from the pipe hanging down behind the NS rear wheel.  The other end was fitted to the diaphragm style pressure regulator.  The belief was that the internal diaphragm was slightly perforated and so allowed fuel to escape(obviously not a lot, but visible when parked in the garage after driving in.  No obvious effect on the engine running.  Replacement regulator fitted and all OK.

Edited by Alfrom
added missing word!!
4 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Stuart,

This is what I used on my car but I could not obtain it in the UK? Even through Gates UK official agents.  Therefore a friend of mine in the USA got me enough to do my car. I also used it on the low pressure side as well. I would be interested to know if you have found a UK supplier?

Bruce.

Available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATES-BARRICADE-INJECTION-HOSE-4219-06038-27348/113807936338?hash=item1a7f7b4b52:g:SdoAAOSwwJ5eDefI

Stuart.