Modine water cooled oil cooler. - anyone?

Any one ever fitted one of these to a TR engine?

They were on Metro etc so the oil filter is same size as the spin used on kits for 6 cylinder cars.  In fact the best oil filter used to be the one for Metro Turbo as it was larger capacity and had bypass and anti drain valve.

Bi-Directional Heat Flow
Modine will both heat and cool the oil. Advantage during warm-up phase when temperature of oil lags behind water.

Eliminates Oil Thermostat
Oil temperature will stabilise close to regulated water temperature under all operating conditions. No chance of over-cooling oil.

Reduction of Leak Paths
No external oil hoses or pipes. Eliminates at least 4 hydraulic joints. Oil leaks can result in fires and are more serious than water leaks.

Cooling Capacity
Modine imposes increased heat rejection to water so primary radiator must be sized accordingly. Alternatively an additional heat exchanger can be fitted (eg oil-to-air cooler).

Reduced Complexity
Much reduced complexity. Simplicity is king.

Reduced Cost
Big reduction in component count and hence cost. Retail outlets do not always pass this cost saving to the customer

26C69F17-8FD1-4AB9-918A-8B41DBBA6217.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • BlueTR3A-5EKT changed the title to Modine water cooled oil cooler. - anyone?

I mentioned this type of technology quite a few years ago but referred to aerospace - fuel cooled oil cooler. 

This raises the temp of the fuel and cools the oil - ticks in all boxes.

The water heated oil cooler on the car is a good idea as the oil can't get any hotter then the water

Roger

58 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Heater return pipe?

Doh!

Heater output from the pump would be a lot easier - shorter hoses.  Presumably you would just insert it in line.  Always assumes that you have the heater valve open at all times

Rgds Ian

50 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Peter.

Have you found one which would fit a 4 pot with a spin on filter adaptor ?

Bob.

We are working on it.

Not too good yet but the Ford/Alfa/Renault/VW ones look promising.   On a 4 cyl with a spin on adaptor I fear the filter moving another inch or so away from the head may be restricted by the snorkel.

Peter W

https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-water-cooled-oil-cooler-15359.html

https://www.retroford.co.uk/product/zetec-water-oil-cooler-modine-z014/

image.thumb.png.bffc220b75739b850f462a0a40f36f22.png

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

I think some WWs (Corrado  I recall) use a similar set up.

VW Corrado’s do have similar coolers as I had to replace the seals on my sons VR6 last year.