Gearbox filler plug on 1972 model

Hi all

i am thinking I may be able to make an inspection cover on my gearbox tunnel for the filler plug but I don’t know where it is without removing the tunnel itself so can anyone tell me it’s approximate position so that I may start cutting the hardboard type stuff the tunnel is made of for the inspection cover location.I hope I am right in thinking the gearbox and overdrive use the same filler hole!as jacking up the car and using stands is rather a faff and hard on the back at my age

regards nige

Yes common fill and level plug for overdrive and gearbox.

Yes a hole through the cardboard tunnel with a suitable plug makes good sense.

Most of the sidescreen cars had a dipstick/filler.   My own is a sidescreen car with Stag box and TR 6 overdrive.  That I modified for a dip stick filler as the side filler/level plug is accessible only to masochistic contortionists.   
That is another game covered in the TR2/3 section 

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I fitted a plug to check the G/B and O/D oil- they use the same oil. I just measured the position back from the floor  and firewall. Drill a pilot hole in the measured location to check  if you're uncertain.

Sorry but I don't have the location measurements as the car is not where I'm currently locked down.

I also fitted a square hatch to check the O/D solenoid operation/clearance.

You might also have to adjust the carpet fastening arrangement to allow access to the hatches without removing the H frame.

Edited by Mike C

That’s a great help lads,now please excuse my stupidity here but my car is right hand drive so would the plug be on the same side for either left or right hand drive.I can’t get under the car to even see what the plug looks like so I run the risk of looking even MORE daft than I already am

regards nige

Yes the filler plug for an original TR 6 gearbox is always on its left side. (As you sit in the car)

The rubber plug pictured looks like the one used on sidescreen car gearbox tunnels.  

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, nigelcurry said:

That’s a great help lads,now please excuse my stupidity here but my car is right hand drive so would the plug be on the same side for either left or right hand drive.I can’t get under the car to even see what the plug looks like so I run the risk of looking even MORE daft than I already am

regards nige

If you want to drill a pilot hole without getting under the car, you'll get a good idea of its location from the floor pressings.

You'll find it difficult to undo the plug as it is square ended and will need an open end spanner which is difficult to manipulate through the 'ole, so you may still have to get underneath.

Once you have got the filler plug out, weld a nut on it so you can use a socket in future.

I actually thought the original fibre covers had access plates for the filler and speedo cable as I thought I remembered cutting holes in the GRP cover and transferring plates over. Maybe 5's and early 6's did, or maybe I am mis-remembering yet again.

Jerry