Your Cobra (Jaguar/Porsche/Lotus/etc) replica may soon be crushed!

Hello All,

To cut a long story short, what has happened is that Jaguar has won a court case that has ended up with a bloke in Sweden, who built his own C type replica, having to destroy his car and pay £450,000 court costs.

This could set a precedent for anyone one who owns any sort of “Replica” car, if the original makers decide to do the same.

Here is a reasonably detailed explanation;

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/217191-jaguar-land-rover-a-brutal-own-goal/

Could still be appealed, but if not, who knows what the outcome will be.

Charlie.

I read that he had made one and was going to make more and sell them and he was told that he didn't have to destroy the one he had already made.

I'll try to find the article with a letter from Jaguar.

Roger

Edited by Pogo

This is the problem with the Internet.

You get different versions in different places.

I read the same, that he was going to go into production, BUT the prototype had to be destroyed as well.

I have also now read that Jaguar is NOT going to go after individuals who have previously built a replica, even though the press release from the replica company suggested they were.

It’s all quite odd though because there have been several companies over the years that produced Jaguar replicas. In the late 1970’s someone produced an E-Type replica using, I think, Cortina running gear. Not quite a “Replica”.

The court case seems to be based on copyright of the body shape though.

Charlie.

If this is the way the major brand owners are heading then a lot of money is going to be made by a lot of IP lawyers from this point. JLR may have been successful in the Swedish case, and in achieving the closure of Suffolk Cars in UK, and they presumably assume it will make other replica-makers pause before they go into significant production. But this is a massively complex area, success in one jurisdiction won't mean it's the same in a different market, and even establishing the ownership of copyright will often be fraught.

Nigel

9 hours ago, Charlie D said:

It’s all quite odd though because there have been several companies over the years that produced Jaguar replicas. In the late 1970’s someone produced an E-Type replica using, I think, Cortina running gear. Not quite a “Replica”.

In the eighties someone was making E-type 'replicas' using XJS mechanicals.

Pete

2 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

The original buck for them is still laying in an old mill near where my old workshop was, The original car it was taken off was also slightly bent.:mellow:

Stuart.

3 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Thanks. Interesting that the website states: "A replica that was manufactured by Triple C from 1985 to 1992 with the approval of Jaguar".

That must have been before JLR realised how much profit there was to be made!

Pete

34 minutes ago, stillp said:

Thanks. Interesting that the website states: "A replica that was manufactured by Triple C from 1985 to 1992 with the approval of Jaguar".

Pete

Absolutely. The brand owners are waking up to the whole heritage thing. MB opened their classics div in 2006, BMW in 2010. I heard the other day that Peugeot now has one, that will refurb your 205 GTI or whatever. 

Nigel

1 hour ago, stillp said:

Pete

Thats actually not strictly true as they were building them down here and some ran MK3 and 4 Cortina underpinnings. I would doubt it was with factory approval. The company has changed hands a few times over the years too.

Stuart.

The earlier Challengers were Cortina based and had flared rear arches a la series 3 E-Type, so the Cortina axle would fit. It looked like a series 1 front end cut 'n' shut with a series 3 - I remember seeing one at a car show. The later ones were XJ6 based. They took the IRS and cut it down to the correct E-Type width for you. They claimed, as you say, that it had Jag's approval and of course you had to go out and buy all those E-Type bits & pieces to complete the kit. I still have the brochure which I costed up - way out of my price range in the 80's, so I looked for a Stag. Also too much money - this was the 80's classic car boom remember - so I bought a Spit (to go with my Dolomite daily driver) and, like the chap who invented the rear view mirror, I've never looked back!

Cheers, Richard

On 2/15/2021 at 9:00 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Electric-only Jaguars is a huge gamble, especially if they use chinese batteries sourced via Volvo.

The Chinese are now making more EVs and EV batteries than the rest of the world put together. It is the worlds largest market for EVs by far. The current plan is for Tesla's next new car, a small hatchback, to be made solely in China and exported to the US and Europe.

Sadly we are falling behind. Boris talks the talk but the reality is somewhat different. The incentives are just not there to support UK industry. Biden is giving the US auto-industry a good kick up the backside and providing the necessary support by buying nearly half a million EVs for the US government but only if they are made in the US. Amazon and UPS are both switching rapidly to EVs both in the US and Europe, driven by the economics.

Mick

20201128_113438 (1).jpg