This question comes up again and again on these forums.

A search for past discussions will find a vast number of differing opinions on the subject but in the end it is really just down to personal choice and how you wish to use the car.  Some prefer to use the narrow tyres that the cars were originally designed for and which may give more 'progressive' handling, some prefer wider modern varieties with more ultimate grip - there is no 'right' answer.

Just make sure that whatever you use is suitable for the wheel width you have, and that the resulting wheel revs per mile matches the speedometer calibration.  

34 minutes ago, RobH said:

This question comes up again and again on these forums.

A search for past discussions will find a vast number of differing opinions on the subject but in the end it is really just down to personal choice and how you wish to use the car.  Some prefer to use the narrow tyres that the cars were originally designed for and which may give more 'progressive' handling, some prefer wider modern varieties with more ultimate grip - there is no 'right' answer.

Just make sure that whatever you use is suitable for the wheel width you have, and that the resulting wheel revs per mile matches the speedometer calibration.  

..and be sure that your national vehicle safety test requirements do not include original tyre size.   

REMEMBER - TR6 - 185 was standard for most North American delivered cars and 165 correct for most European delivered cars.  If a PI it will need a tyre that has a higher speed rating to match its declared top speed, compared to those fitted on Carb cars.

Peter W

PS I like 165x80x15 Vredestein - chosen from many for their cheapness. - and performance.

thank you all, but i read correct measure for original wheels is 165/70/15 or 185/70/15 for U.S.A.

now i go with 3 weber 40DCOE e STAGE 2 Head with Racetorations Manifold, i'm not a race driver

but if   my national vehicle safety test requirements do not include original tyre size, i think it's better 185/70/15.

thank you all, but i read correct measure for original wheels is 165/70/15 or 185/70/15 for U.S.A.

In what publication/source?

Regards

Bill 

They should both be 80 profile which is the nearest to the original tyres which would have been quoted at 185 x 15 for USA or 165 x 15 for P.I. cars. 

I use 165/80 x 15 on my '6 and much prefer them to the low profile tyres the car had on it. I think it's both the look of the car and the way it drives, which to me seems an improvement on both since I fitted them. 

By the way if you are talking about getting some 185/70 x 15 these are almost the same rolling radius as the original 165's so the gearing would be correct. 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
10 hours ago, Mike C said:

I've got Pirelli 195/65R15 P6 Cinturato's and quite happy with them. This tyre size is quite common in Australia and relatively cheap. I can't justify expensive tyres as mine expire in terms of years long before they wear out.

Got 195s on mine. Work well. Lots on the forum on tyres. You won't find a consensus. 165s/185s have lighter steering. 195s may have better road holding, but side by die tests are few and far between

Modern tyre compounds are superior to what we had in the 70's. I recently fitted 165 Dunlop Classics and they give all the grip I need.  To me it's about the classic feel of these old cars. I really don't see the gain in having fatter tyres, all they give is heavier steering and more strain on 50 year old components. And if they failed and caused an accident could your insurance company find your wider tyres weren't original equipment?

And if they failed and caused an accident could your insurance company find your wider tyres weren't original equipment ?

No...not if you had advised them of the change in spec first and they accepted (they will). You say "and if they failed" if any component on a car fails and causes an accident which causes the insurance company to pay out they will try and claim the money back from whatever component failure and whomever supplied it...standard practice, but foiled in their attempts to blame you if you told them first.

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

They have gone up a bit since then

422D7D92-09BE-4246-81D3-3B2ACB9E8DFF.jpeg

Theyre stronging it a bit https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/xas/165vr15-michelin-xas.html

Stuart.

There's only one tyre - Michelin XAS. I got mine from this place, not sure if they still exist though..

I remember sometime late 70's not being able to get 165 HR 15 for any money but this was pre internet and I did live in Leominster! 

I used to buy the XAS when you could buy them marked with DA....

A teaser for you to test memory/knowledge of DA

Regards

Bill 

£395 for one tyre? Ive bought Michelin tyres for modern cars and never paid more than £125 for a single tyre and that includes for a Mercedes SL R129 series. I appreciate quality and build quality but those classic tyres are a modern day rip off so i will stick to normal tyres at sensible prices- i bought 4 Bridgestone tyres for my TR  6 years ago and they were £200 for 4 fitted and balanced!

Re DA marking on tyres:

When I bought my 1970 TR6 from DCM in 1972 it was shod with Dunlop SP Sports. I thought they were ok until I read CR's articles in Motor Sport in one of which he reported on 'chunking' of the rear inner shoulders, after a long fast run, that made the tyres actually illegal on his car. To my surprise mine were the same. After that I changed to best quality tyres, that meant Michelin XAS with inner tubes.

I knew what the DA marking meant then but avoided them, I wasn't going to compromise...

Interesting. I ran Dunlops but they never lasted very long and went to XAS.

The DA on the XAS tyres stood for "defective appearance" which generally meant a very small part of the tyre didn't leave the mould properly. I never actually managed to see the defect but bought them as they were reduced in price, by how much I can't remember now.

Regards

Bill 

15 minutes ago, Bill944T said:

Interesting. I ran Dunlops but they never lasted very long and went to XAS.

The DA on the XAS tyres stood for "defective appearance" which generally meant a very small part of the tyre didn't leave the mould properly. I never actually managed to see the defect but bought them as they were reduced in price, by how much I can't remember now.

Regards

Bill 

A lot of the other tyre manufacturers used to mark RQ on their tyres if there was a problem like that, nothing wrong with the tyres but were often sold out cheap to the trade.

I did have a nasty moment back in the 70`s on those SP sports fitted to a series one XJ6 one of the rears completely delaminated at about 100mph and ripped up through the wheel arch and was banging on the underside of the parcel shelf!

Stuart.

Wow, that's some price for one XAS, my first set of 4 cost me the princely sum of £93.96 back in 1979 including VAT at 8%!

Not sure what that would translate to in 2021 prices so maybe not too dissimilar?

Derek

XAS tyres.jpg