Voltage regulator low fuel lamp,

Hope you are all well,  having the jab tomorow morning, a little early as tors is working in covid ward, 

Anyway fitted a new fuel tank extra large one, fitting a new fuel sender,got a new sender kit from caerbont automotive tb9006/kit

A low fuel lamp can be fitted with this unit, got it wired up, worked OK but burnt out the the voltage regulator 

The bulb I was using was a small 12v led, can't find 10v bulbs/leds, any advise please, thank you 

Pink 

A 10V led won't draw any less current than a 12V one, I would have thought that the warning lamp should be connected between the "Low fuel" contact on the sender, & 12V, NOT the 10V from the voltage stabiliser. Only the gauge should be connected to the voltage stabiliser.

Bob.

+1

I must say though that it is difficult to believe that the small current drawn by an LED panel lamp could burn out the voltage regulator.  Are you sure it was connected correctly?

I found these instructions:

https://www.caigauge.com/documents//pdfs/uh-tb901-kit-384.pdf

but they don't show how to connect the warning light, which seems a bit strange, also the wiring is shown as direct to 12v not to a voltage regulator so perhaps not for a TR gauge? 

It isn't absolutely clear either what the notes actually mean.  I think it is T to the fuel gauge,  W to the lamp and earth to the smaller tab. The other end of the lamp would go to 12v as Bob says. 

(Bear in mind that the original bimetallic regulator is an on/off switching device and the 10v is only an average which is integrated by the slow response of the meter.  During the 'on' time there will actually be 12v on the output so a 10v LED would not like that......)

Edited by RobH

You have a voltage stabiliser, so logicaly it's not for a sidescreen car.   The diagram Rob found above does not show a stabiliser, which means either they have not bothered to show one for simplicity, or that the sender is intended for the earlier fuel gauge as fitted to TR2 -3A.  If the latter, then the gauge will operate backwards ! as the resistance change from empty to full works the other way round on the early cars high resistance = full tank, low = empty.

Bob.

Hi Bob, 

Well after what you wrote on the fist thread bob I w ent down the garage and wired it up, as you recommended,worked a treat, (thank you)

The unit I baught is for a landrover how ever will work on the 6  I contacted the company and asked,

they  are also  listed on the revington website 

I always find it difficult to get my head round it,  as it is often back to front,  live to the bolb then to the component then to earth 

Thanks Bob  pink 

20 hours ago, Lebro said:

You have a voltage stabiliser, so logicaly it's not for a sidescreen car.   The diagram Rob found above does not show a stabiliser, which means either they have not bothered to show one for simplicity, or that the sender is intended for the earlier fuel gauge as fitted to TR2 -3A.  If the latter, then the gauge will operate backwards ! as the resistance change from empty to full works the other way round on the early cars high resistance = full tank, low = empty.

Bob.

When I bought my TR3a it had been fitted with a sender from another vehicle which did exactly what you describe, operated the gauge in reverse direction. It wasn’t difficult to open up the sender and reverse the wires so it operated the right way and it’s still on my car. 

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent