BUBBLES IN MY WATER

Hi Chums

I'm losing radiator water, ( 2 Lt in 500Ks ) checked for bubbles in the rad',  they are coming fairly regular at the size of about 10 mm dia', I had the head checked and I checked the liner height ( I didn't clamp them down?) and what to do if one liner is low? Yesterday I pressure tested through the plug hole each cylinder about 100lb" to find out where the prob' was , not one bubble came up, any thoughts?--Barry

You are loosing coolant but can't find it under the car....

When I bought my 4A the figure of 8 seal was leaking,

not very much water was lost that way, but constantly.

This was the reason why the previous owner removerd the PCV valve and guided the pavours and steamed antifreeze out by a simple hose.

With the oil sump off the anti freeze was visible from below on the 4th cylinder and crankshaft.

Edited by Z320

I am sure you can find a locally available test kit in WA 

COMBUSTION LEAK BLOCK TESTER KIT 50 ml TEST FLUID for PETROL LPG HEAD GASKET

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254703646899

it will show if you have combustion gasses in those bubbles. Thus a head gasket. 

good luck

You say the head was checked - but did that include the blanking plug in the top surface which has been known to corrode and leak ? 

Hi Chums--I see bubbles  in water in radiator cap filler hole, yes I changed the head water corrosion plug, Checked the head nuts they were tight, I was thinking I may drain the water slack off all the nuts and retighten, if no change take the head off--Barry

Sorry me,

first to drain the oil sump and than take it off and look from underneath would give you an indication.

Only with the head off you perhaps will eliminate all indications about the reason - and your repair could fail.

Maybe the fault it is not obvious with the head off.

My advice is to make a plan step by step to find the fault before you touch any tools.

Edited by Z320

Btw:

in the cooling system is coolant and air.

The air has to be there to be compressed by the expanding coolant.

And the air is no problem at all (I kow others tell different) because the water pump is a MONSTER, 

it mixes the air with the coolant and keeps the air in small bubbles in the flow.

I never opened the rad cap on a hot engine, because this is dangerous! And so I ever checked what is there to see.

But if you can / do (shure with the engine switched off?) I expect air raising up in bubbles because the air begins to divide from the coolant.

So in my opinion (I could be wrong) bubbles raising up in the rad are no indication for anything.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I had a similar problem with my 3A took the head off and found the gasket was starting to go on all cylinders so decided to go for " Randalls trick" you can google it, it should come up and is self explanatory certainly worked for me 3 years on and hasn't used a drop of water and runes like a new one.

Graham

Sorry Graham, tried but the replies on this hit as " Randalls trick" on Google have nothing to do with TRs or even head gaskets. Any chance you can lift the link and post it for us ?

Mick Richards

43 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Sorry Graham, tried but the replies on this hit as " Randalls trick" on Google have nothing to do with TRs or even head gaskets. Any chance you can lift the link and post it for us ?

Mick Richards

It's a ring of copper wire soldered to the head gasket around each cylinder.

Pete

43 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mick Richards

I found this link Mick. 

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?106677-Composite-vs-cooper-head-gasket-with-Randall-s-quot-trick-quot

not sure if it’s it. 

H

Ah... that trick...cough method.

Yep it’s used with solid copper gaskets AND  the standard copper/asbestos/copper standard head gasket. Bit of a guess because you can’t tell what the malleability is and how much the copper wire ( Dias are available between 12-18 thou) will scrunch down when torqued.
Never bothered us in competition, the head was going to be lifted at the end of  the season anyway. When you are in a hole whatever works is what needs doing.

Mick Richards