BUBBLES IN MY WATER

Hi chaps--I bought a head gasket off ebay a month or more ago, for the Tr4 2200cc only just checked it , the stud holes are for ( Tractor or vanguard) 7/16" studs  not 1/2" I have used them plenty of times for 2200cc 1/2" studs  engines ( but this time I have bubbles ) what's the concensus ?  update just measured gasket stud holes they are about 1/2"bore (no clearance ?) ),,,, bore hole about 89mm, that maybe too big?

Thanks ----Barry

18 minutes ago, barrytr4 said:

Mates

I got if from Auto Surplus, " No GHAE330 "they say it fits both engines 2000 and 2200 then they say V8 so I'm not convinced yet ? anybody used them?--Barry

What is it made of?

can you post a picture?

Peter W

Hhmmmm don’t know how a 7/16th stud Vanguard engine would locate these gaskets if the stud holes are 1/2”. Sounds like a recipe for a misaligned gasket if fitted.

If the stud holes are 1/2” ( even if barely) I suppose you could “relieve” them a little with a round file to fit, but you really need the gasket to slide down the studs rather than sticking. As for the gasket working on 89mm bores and suiting a V8 that would tie in with a V8 Rover piston ( my first 4 cylinder championship was won using them in the engine) but using a cut steel head gasket.

It’s a mistake to use an overly large cylinder bore gasket, the burning fuel charge get’s compressed between head and block and “squished” into the gasket with the close fitting surfaces preventing it’s dispersement and cooling. That causes gasket burning.

You can get away with a 87mm piston in the standard copper size gasket used to suit the 86mm bore, it has enough gasket clearance and the incoming fuel charge cools the copper gasket down.

I suppose you’ve retorqued the head down to 105 lb ft having done between 200 and 1000 miles Barry ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

it doesn't say V8 it says OHV 8v thus i read it as an 8 valve generic description.

not that it makes that much difference in this instance i suppose

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

it doesn't say V8 it says OHV 8v thus i read it as an 8 valve generic description.

not that it makes that much difference in this instance i suppose

You’d better take that argument up with Barry, Hamish. He thinks it is a V8 fit and I can’t find a V8 or OHV notation on it anywhere.

Mick Richards

Hi Chums--Yes, that's the one in the link, Yes 8V, not v8, sorry, I have been thinking about it, and it should be OK? the liners would be thick enough to locate the extra diameter, I can't see any difference if it was the same dia' as the liner bore ? only a bit of space where carbon could build up have a spare liner here will offer it up and see how it looks, get back later--Barry--

Hi Chums

checked gasket  w/ a liner, the dia of the gasket is about 1mm in from dia' of liner bore,w/ plenty of liner thickness where the gasket sits  I think that is OK?, if it were the other way round, ie, the gasket edge in the combustion area it could be damaged? , just noticed has " Stanpart" and a part No 202203 on it , not that would mean anything--Barry

16 hours ago, Hamish said:
5 hours ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Chums

checked gasket  w/ a liner, the dia of the gasket is about 1mm in from dia' of liner bore,w/ plenty of liner thickness where the gasket sits  I think that is OK?, if it were the other way round, ie, the gasket edge in the combustion area it could be damaged? , just noticed has " Stanpart" and a part No 202203 on it , not that would mean anything--Barry

Yeah...you haven’t mentioned Barry, has the engine had a retorque after achieving between 200-1000 miles of running ?

Mick Richards

Barry, 

Don’t know how to get an answer on this...

HAVE YOU RETORQUED THE HEAD DOWN TO 105 LBs FT SINCE THE ENGINE HAD DONE BETWEEN 200-1000 MILES SINCE ENGINE BUILD ?

You may sort your problem by doing this.

Mick Richards

Hi Mike--Yes, slackened off all nuts and retightened, no different---going to the annual British Car Day tomorrow ,  a town called Gingin 70kms  north of Perth,  WA, , I wonder if I will make it  , there and back?--Barry

i am sorry to be flippant but my mind won't let it go

given you are off to Gingin could the bubbles be tonic ?

i didn't go via Gingin i used the coast road to Darwin after crossing the Nullabor

Hi Hamish

So you went to Dawin via S Australia? that is a longer route , were you driving? ,,I went to Gingin British car day at least 50 Triumph's there,  it was a fine day apart from a very light shower, the TR never lost any water and didn't get hot, my TR4 is in the first photo, in the middle of the red ones, mines got the hood up-----Barry

DSC02772.JPG

DSC02773.JPG

DSC02774.JPG

DSC02775.JPG

DSC02776.JPG

DSC02777.JPG

DSC02778.JPG

8 hours ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Hamish

So you went to Dawin via S Australia? that is a longer route , were you driving? ,,I went to Gingin British car day at least 50 Triumph's there,  it was a fine day apart from a very light shower, the TR never lost any water and didn't get hot, my TR4 is in the first photo, in the middle of the red ones, mines got the hood up-----Barry

Hi Barry

many moons ago I drove my 1973 Ford Falcon the whole perimeter ( virtually) of Oz

my trip your way started in Melbourne and across the nullabor then up the west-coast and the top to Darwin before head back down the middle .

amazing country  

looks like you had a successful trip and a good turn out  in Gingin  

7 hours ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Chums--Thanks John  for the photo comment, ,-- hey Hamish I bet you thought it was a long way, did you have many punctures / break-downs ? you must have had some problems--Barry

Only 2

a cracked head and kick down on auto stopped.

plenty of spare heads in scrap yards ( why I went for an Aussie car !! Plentiful parts and lots of local knowledge) 

box issue didn’t matter.