Al,It is with a degree of confidence that I can identify your mechanism as a Pan-Torque.I acquired such a beast from Pete W (of this forum) a couple of years back but missing some of the fittings and mounts.(I'll be in touch if you don't mind?!Mine is in a better cosmetic state than yours and I'll take some pix tomorrow if I can access it and post them here.It is, of course, just a rather beefy Panhard  rod as the name suggests.Made by don't know or where.Pete believes that one of these also adorned the back end of a TR3 belonging to a mutual acquaintance,certainly back in the 70's if not long before then.Said acquaintance, Ian Grant, and his co driver Sam Fisk used to compete quite seriously in rallyes in the 50s/60's in Ian's TR3. Ian managed to re-acquire the car for restoration after ascertaining it's whereabouts from a helpful member of the constabulary following a burglary at his property in the 1970s..Ian also owned, amongst other cars, the Allard J2X Chrysler TT works car MGF850 and a rather nice mid 50's BMW507, bought whilst doing his National Service in Germany at the same time!Sadly no longer with us.

Roger M-E

Under the do-nuts at each end are universal joints.  The uj’s are aligned to allow up/down and forward/backward movement only.   Locates the axle transversely as a panhard rod does plus it stops axle wind up when the power/torque goes on.  
 Could be recreated from a Morris Minor prop shaft.

Certainly heavy as it is a steel tube.

Peter W

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing Alan, 

And thanks to both Roger and Peter W for the explanations.

Being tube of that sort of diameter proportion it may be lighter than other Panhard rods.

I love it. B)

..certainly be worth trying to trace the competition the history of your car Al

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

15 hours ago, foster461 said:

I assume whatever else that thing does it also does the work of the shock absorbers ?

Stan

'shock absorber' is a damper, so no.

A Panhard rod primarily prevents the axle from moving sideways, relative to the car's chassis (which is otherwise controlled by the leaf springs not really wanting to bend sideways, but can do so when they twist). 

This design though has the UJ joints at the chassis and at the axle's end, so it does that job ..but also minimises the axle twisting ..causing axle tramp, which is extenuated by the torque reaction being transferred through a crank ..in this case the 15" tyre contact patch with the road being some 12" from the centre-line of the axle.

I cannot appreciate any damping effect offered by the design.

" Doh !. I see the shocks are still there and this tube is mounted to its own brackets. Very interesting."

My apologies, I was attempting to explain the workings of the design, while in the meantime you edited your point.   I didn't mean to teach grandpa to sup bourbon..  ;)

Edited by Bfg
49 minutes ago, alanwcoote said:

Thanks for your input guys very interesting

Cars not mine but owner will be pleased with response , we will keep you updated

Al

Al

I suggest you contact a chap at Gainsborough I have seen that setup many years ago 

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

'shock absorber' is a damper, so no.

A Panhard rod primarily prevents the axle from moving sideways, relative to the car's chassis (which is otherwise controlled by the leaf springs not really wanting to bend sideways, but can do so when they twist). 

This design though has the UJ joints at the chassis and at the axle's end, so it does that job ..but also minimises the axle twisting (causing axle tramp) which is extenuated by the torque reaction being transferred through a crank ..in this case the 15" tyre contact patch with the road being some 12" from the centreline of the axle.

I cannot appreciate any damping effect offered by the design.

" Doh !. I see the shocks are still there and this tube is mounted to its own brackets. Very interesting."

My apologies, I was attempting to explain the workings of the design, while in the meantime you edited your point.   I didn't mean to teach grandpa to sup brandy..  ;)

All good Pete. The TR3 and I guess the non-irs TR4's did have an issue with lateral movement of the axle and/or rear spring. I fitted a revington kit that is supposed to discourage that but nothing like what we see on that chassis.

Stan

One of our members down here Tim Parr now sadly deceased used to rally TR2 and 3 with his own design very similar to that and apparently it was very successful too.

Stuart.