Which 12v Air Compressor?

I am looking to buy a 12v air compressor to store in the boot of my TR for occasional use.

I carried out an internet search from which the most recommended products were produced by Ring with the RAC630 and RAC635 being most prominent but when I checked their ratings, they both had a significant number of poor reviews based upon flimsy construction, inaccurate gauges or leaking valves.

So before I go ahead and buy one, is anyone on here prepared to recommend one.  I don't want to pay a fortune but on the other hand I am fully familiar with the 'Buy cheap, buy twice' concept.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
  • Ian Vincent changed the title to Which 12v Air Compressor?

I have an Aldi one. Very basic but I take it racing and copes with my vain attempts to alter tyre pressures to improve times. 

(Also cleared a fuel line blockage at a sprint at Aintree see 6.25 on video)

Ignore the negative comments about inaccurate readings because that is both true and inevitable - why anyone would even think to rely on one when a proper calibrated gauge can be had for cheaply is beyond me. 

I have a few (all taken from old company cars and provided to squirt in tyre goo - primarily VAG) and they all work fine and have been bounced on the floor by me.  Just over inflate and then reduce to desired pressure using a proper gauge.  

One of these is in my TR6 boot https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat-Tyre-Inflator-Compressor-made-by-Active-Tools/294002631606?hash=item4473ec23b6:g:HFIAAOSwNqlgCx1d

Ian - having gone through a number of these ( they don't like pumping for very long so if you have 4 tyres which are a bit flat, the chances are that will be it's limit) , it occurred to me that OE equipment on cars like BMW etc should be a good bet so go along to your local scrappie and you should be able to get a top quality one for not a lot or go on fleabay for the same ones

Cheers Rich

Thanks everyone.  I'll go for the OEM option from Active Tools.  I notice that apart from the one on Ebay there  is a Ford version of the same item (apart from the Ford badge) available on Amazon for £20.

Rgds Ian

PS Liked the video Hamish.

Your video cheered me up Hamish as i’ve spent most of the week chasing a misfire on the 1976 Honda CB550 motorbike that i’ve just rebuilt ! 

A4D87513-330F-4A23-ABD4-4C582BC0D21E.jpeg