Mobile Phone Recommendations.

Hi all,

Looking for a recommendation for a mobile phone that would suit my - well age really?

Only mobiles I have ever bought were the  £20 or so, simple call/text variety, the android I have been trying to get my head around, (Ex sons, ) all singing all dancing types, are leaving me non plussed, come without instructions, and every query meets a 'Its easy just.....'

So I'm looking for a phone  that apart from calls and texts, will let me check my emails and google stuff,

Cheers,

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Hi all,

Looking for a recommendation for a mobile phone that would suit my - well age really?

Only mobiles I have ever bought were the  £20 or so, simple call/text variety, the android I have been trying to get my head around, (Ex sons, ) all singing all dancing types, are leaving me non plussed, come without instructions, and every query meets a 'Its easy just.....'

So I'm looking for a phone  that apart from calls and texts, will let me check my emails and google stuff,

Cheers,

John.

Always been happy enough with Iphones, I know theyre expensive and you need to replace every five years but if you use Itunes as well when you replace it all comes down to the new one.

Stuart.

55 minutes ago, stuart said:

Always been happy enough with Iphones, I know theyre expensive and you need to replace every five years but if you use Itunes as well when you replace it all comes down to the new one.

Stuart.

+1 . It does make things simple, but I know what John mean. But if you want inspiration, my mother 85, had to get savvy when my father passed away. She literally had never used a Pc or mobile phone. She has mastered an android phone,  dads iPad, zoom etc in a year, out of necessity. She had no fear of doing wrong so just played with them until she got it right! The family are frankly amazed.

Iain

My iPhone does all I need as you describe  calls ( rarely) text (iMessage) internet, email, banking weather etc etc

i didn’t have a computer for 4 years until my brother took pity on me and gave me his cast off last year that I use for my videos mainly.

I know it’s one of the give global corporates but they do work very well  

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

The android I have been trying to get my head around, (Ex sons, ) all singing all dancing types, are leaving me non plussed . . . 

Hi John,

What Android do you have?

A few years ago, my Dad's old flip phone packed up, and he was looking for a replacement. The local phone shop suggested he simply get another flip phone because "flip phones are best for seniors". Frankly, I don't think that's true.

I was due an update at the time, and offered him my Samsung Galaxy 8. Turning off all the usual suspects (Facebook, Twitter etc), we got it pared down to calls, texts, emails and Google Maps. The main benefit over his old flip phone of course, is that the android screen is much larger. Keys and icons can be made bigger if necessary, and it also responds to voice commands.

Last December, I jokingly asked if I could get him a new 'flip phone' for Christmas.

He politely declined the offer.  :)

Cheers, Deggers

The cheapest iPhone will do everything that you want. Life is easier with a bigger screen but they tend to be bulky in the pocket and more easily cracked. Older models are fine. My iPhone 7 does everything I need although the 8 has a waaay better camera. 

John 

Be carefull iPhone 6 and above will have WiFi calling and more however software updates will only be on 7 or above you can change the battery yourself and easy to do the later versions you can’t for what you want a 6 would do the job 

John

Stay away from anything that starts with an "i"

If you go with an "i" you are locked out of any flexibility

You can only obtain downloads and apps via the iphone store, which charges and has limited offerings

Android has open flexibility.  Your phone can link and communicate with any other android device including TV's, it can download freely, from anywhere.  "i" will only talk to "i"

We have always used Samsung, but, there are loads of good phones out there,  just don't limit your options with the handset you choose.

Currently have a Samsung (distress purchase while travelling - long story) but previously have had a string of Motorola's Moto G series phones which are robust, reliable and very reasonably priced. They do all you need them to do for under 200 quid. Nothing not to like really.

iPhones are not that much better than Android (well there are pros and cons) but in a completely different price bracket ie starting at £400 ish.

Nigel

58 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

but previously have had a string of Motorola's Moto G series phones which are robust, reliable and very reasonably priced. They do all you need them to do for under 200 quid. Nothing not to like really.

I'm on my second Motorola G, and I have been very pleased with them.

Always had i phones no complaints they work well and been a Mac user they back each other up in the background and share functionality.

As a user friendly system I think they are very difficult combination to beat if a little quirky to get used to in the beginning.

In the end it down to what you prefer and cost.

Andy 

40 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Always had i phones no complaints they work well and been a Mac user they back each other up in the background and share functionality.

As a user friendly system I think they are very difficult combination to beat if a little quirky to get used to in the beginning.

In the end it down to what you prefer and cost.

Andy 

Correct and you don’t need apps most are free anyway just  check the best selling phones enough said 

Trouble is, iphones and mac are a closed loop

If you have an iphone and any computer other than a mac, the iphone is an island

Yes macs are great computers . . . . .if you need their capabilities

With any android phone, you can connect to any android product, if you want too.

As phones move inexorably into the segment that computers occupy or occupied, our dependence upon them will increase. 

As this progresses, the need for flexibility and ease of use increases

One thing you can never have with the iphone, as long as the manufacturer insists on keeping a stranglehold on what you can and can't put onto the handset you are buying, or have paid for, is flexibility.

6 minutes ago, wjgco said:

Trouble is, iphones and mac are a closed loop

If you have an iphone and any computer other than a mac, the iphone is an island

Yes macs are great computers . . . . .if you need their capabilities

With any android phone, you can connect to any android product, if you want too.

As phones move inexorably into the segment that computers occupy or occupied, our dependence upon them will increase. 

As this progresses, the need for flexibility and ease of use increases

One thing you can never have with the iphone, as long as the manufacturer insists on keeping a stranglehold on what you can and can't put onto the handset you are buying, or have paid for, is flexibility.

Never had iMac just pc both work together fine you only have to look at car makers most are going to apple car play and that will replace usb sat navigation etc 

5 hours ago, acaie said:

I'm on my second Motorola G, and I have been very pleased with them.

Same here. Currently on a Moto G6 Play. Bought in Tesco - IIRC it was about £140, with Clubcard points of course. Then I have a SIM-only contact with Tesco Mobile, which costs me £14 a month for my and SWMBO's phones, I don't know how many minutes/texts/GB data are included as I never come anywhere near running out.

I had so much trouble with Apple products when I was working that I'd encourage anyone to avoid them like the plague.

Pete

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

The beauty of Apple gear is it all works together. Yes it’s more expensive but at the end of the day it works and my wife knows how to work it. 

Rgds Ian

So do I. I have HP laptop, I-pad and I-phone they are all interchangeable and connected, I can read my e-mails, this forums and all my Ancestry stuff on all three. I don’t use apps for any of these just chrome or safari browsers ( others are available).

The apps are useful for maps, weather, tracker etc.

Thanks for th ereplies guys,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, againg obtained used, well actually given to me

by a fellow group member! I'm still playing around with it, but if I will ever be confident, well I'm not sure.

John.

The S3 has very little memory, & will be very slow for google searches. As a phone for calls, & texts it will be fine, but I suspect you will soon find it's limitations to be annoying.  I started my smartphone experience with one. An S6 will perform much much better, & can be found for not too much money SH on ebay etc.

I am now on an S8, but only because I needed the later bluetooth version on it to work with my hearing aids !

Bob.