Boxed up parts and new seals

When I purchased my TR 30+ years ago I had the metering unit and injectors rebuilt. Unfortunately life got in the way of my restoration and the parts have been sitting in a box. Seems like there would be a need to redo everything as the seals etc put in back then are not current fuel compatible. Does that seem to be reasonable? 

I also rebuilt all the the hydraulics back then, even though I used a lot of rubber grease, should I anticipate rebuilding those?

Ken in California

Hi Ken

After been sat for 30 years and been safety critical I'd be tempted to change them.

Andy

In Australia the PI system would have to use viton elastomers to work with our current fuels. 30 years ago nitrile was the common elastomer. A few years ago I replaced a leaking fuelling diaphragm with a nitrile component supplied by one of the major UK suppliers and it lasted less than an hour-  monumental waste of time in removing, repairing and reinstalling/retiming the MU. And I pay a premium around here to avoid fuel that contains ethanol.

20 minutes ago, Mike C said:

In Australia the PI system would have to use viton elastomers to work with our current fuels. 30 years ago nitrile was the common elastomer. A few years ago I replaced a leaking fuelling diaphragm with a nitrile component supplied by one of the major UK suppliers and it lasted less than an hour-  monumental waste of time in removing, repairing and reinstalling/retiming the MU. And I pay a premium around here to avoid fuel that contains ethanol.

Hi Mike,

All the original seals in the Lucas PI system were Viton A based but some of the seals had a 10% swelling agent in them, i.e. the injector O ring seals to guarantee a good seal, by swelling up in the present of petrol and to stop drain down when engine was switched off. They were made by Dowty seals or Redditch mouldings.

Bruce.