TR3A Windtone Horns

Good day!

I am rebuilding a car that I did not dismantle and as I do not have a reference car and am restricted from travelling, I seek information on the following from experienced owners. Only a few of the many puzzles!

- What is the correct orientation of the horns, I know one is RH and the other LH but what I need to know is which way they point, is it forward, inward, backward or ? A Photo of one in situ would be great.

I have researched photos in books and mags and my files to no avail.

- re the Loom, which is the correct hole in the bulkhead through which the loom transits?

- Which are the correct holes in the bulkhead for the Speedo and Tacho cables to transit.

The above info may help to stop smartarses saying "Oh! I see the such and such is wrong!"

Many thanks

John

20210211_145504.thumb.jpg.77497cf438241f5aec2d4aaff134324d.jpg    20210211_145443.thumb.jpg.d00dd93060b94474418cac11dd29b2ea.jpg  20210211_145527.thumb.jpg.457e1b03006ab26d8a0f4b622d6da999.jpg 

LH horn                                                          RH horn                                                           Oil pressure pipe

20210211_145520.thumb.jpg.f79c84378d4e5f9548f284215eb40e27.jpg                                             20210211_145556.thumb.jpg.33bd3dcd0cd5c506aafb65721a9274f3.jpg  20210207_102432.thumb.jpg.e7575eacd77f0cadfbc2ef2c3fae4ede.jpg

Main loom grommet left of battery clamp (hidden)                  temp gauge & rev counter cable                  oil pressure pipe route

& speedo cable below it

Cheers

Bob

Edited by Lebro

They are aren't they! Alas, not my own however, just a quick picture grab from Google.

My own Lucas Windtones are the same age as the car, 1959. A little chipped by comparison, but darned loud! 

For the musically minded amongst you, I think the L/H interval is preset to a major third (or at least they are on mine). Same as these :

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

There should be an "H" or "L" cast into the inside edge of the horn's flaring. The difference in note is, according to Lucas, 'an interval of a major third - designed to produce a pleasing harmonious sound'. The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation would have been happy with that.

I don't think the tone is adjustable but the horns can be adjusted buy measuring the current and tweaking the centre screw. The Lucas service manual (section 8) has the destructions. Neighbours need to be out!  (I recall that mine were miles off when tested and much more noise was available).

MJ473387158_LucasHorns.png.f7b5e2b81214cc240cc1e76039334d77.png

thanks Ian for the maintenance link. Mine seem to struggle sometimes and I did think perhaps they needed a relay or something as I thought it might be a power issue.

Now I will go and p**s the neighbours off and try "tuning" them....do you think an SU flow meter would help:lol:

On 2/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, John Reilly said:

I bench tested their function but did not measure current, I will do that.

4 hours ago, Nigel C said:

Mine seem to struggle sometimes . . .

Although an "MG video", this clip goes into some detail about bench testing, and Windtone maintenance. Hope it helps.

Cheers, Deggers

On 2/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, John Reilly said:

Good day!

I am rebuilding a car that I did not dismantle and as I do not have a reference car and am restricted from travelling, I seek information on the following from experienced owners. Only a few of the many puzzles!

- What is the correct orientation of the horns, I know one is RH and the other LH but what I need to know is which way they point, is it forward, inward, backward or ? A Photo of one in situ would be great.

I have researched photos in books and mags and my files to no avail.

- re the Loom, which is the correct hole in the bulkhead through which the loom transits?

- Which are the correct holes in the bulkhead for the Speedo and Tacho cables to transit.

The above info may help to stop smartarses saying "Oh! I see the such and such is wrong!"

Many thanks

John

John, I think you'll find Bill Piggott's book - Original TR - very useful.

Phil.