Main Dealer charges - Sorry can you repeat that!

When I bought my BMW Z3M it only came with one key,  these have to come direct from BMW main dealer at a cost of over £170.  When I went to collect it and have them code it to the car, I parked outside the service bays.  Four of the mechanics came out to have a good look over it as they had never had a Z3 in their garage.  I decided of course that I'd give them a miss when servicing or repairs were needed.  I went round to my nearest BMW/Merc independent and there were two Z3s there having jobs done.  They have looked after it ever since, charge about half what the main dealers do, and I trust them to only do work the car needs, rather than their monthly figures need.

I used to own a Mazda which I had MOTd and serviced at the only Mazda dealer in the area.  One year they MOTd it and came up with an advisory for the  shock absorbers, they passed but said I really should replace them for £294.  As it passed I said no but would keep an eye on them.  The next year it went back, and again passed but with an advisory, no not the shocks they had miraculously mended themselves over the year, this time it was front discs, the cost to replace them would be guess what... £294!  It went to a small local garage after that, who passed it the next year with no advisories.

Always had BMWs of various types over 20 years and perhaps I’ve been lucky never had any faults. I never used the main dealer for servicing only independents at 2/3 the cost as I don’t trust dealers for the reasons highlighted here. Knowing a friend who also works for a main BMW dealer the service team in short tend to invent work often shrouded in that it’s a safety issue “sir” to meet targets. I buy tyres where they are cheapest. In short they have been great cars to drive and run reasonably cheaply if you stay clear of the dealers.

Never liked MB or Audi sales philosophy when change was considered. “Armrest sir that will be extra”!!!

Andy