I noticed that Moss have a Penrite corrosion inhibitor in their catalogue. I am using Bluecol anti freeze which has some inhibitor. Is there any advantage in using the Penrite product as well. 

Also I checked it on Google and it appears to be HOAT based which I think is wrong for my TR3A. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks Richard & B

Richard,

I use a 50% mixture of water and Fernox Alphi-11 in my 3A.
It's mainly used for central heating, so it's an antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor combined.
I don't use Bluecol because we have cats and even a very small ammount of Bluecol can make cats very ill or even kill them if you get a spill and they ingest it.

Only problem is that the Fernox is about 3X the price of Bluecol.
(Still a lot cheaper than vet's bills.)

Charlie.

1 hour ago, trchris said:

Hi Richard

Minimum 50/50 Bluecol is all you need 

Chris 

That seems quite concentrated.  Do you need it that strength for corrosion protection because it can't be for frost, not even in Lincolnshire.

Rgds Ian

I use Bluecol original mixed at between 25% and 50% 

Beware Bluecol 'U' or universal as it is pre mixed at 50% with deionised water - so you would need a cooling systems worth at £5.00 a litre from the Supermarket. (£40.00)  and it is claimed to be clear/colourless.  It is aimed at the 'top it up' market so it does not create odd colours when poured in with your factory installed pink or orange or blue stuff.

TR2/4 engine with heater needs 8 litres of cooling water to fill so 2, 3 or 4 litres would do it.  If the price is right but 5 litres leaving some for in service top ups when mixed at your chosen ratio.

Peter W

So I had better stick with my Bluecol which is right for my car, but increase the amount I am putting in.  At present there is no coolant in at all but it soon will be when it is less cold inside the garage.

Thanks Richard & B

So basically we use a Silicate antifreeze ‘blue’ for cars prior to about 1998. From then on its OAT ‘red’.

What would one use with an aluminium radiator? Iron block, copper heater core and ally radiator?

11 hours ago, DaveN said:

So basically we use a Silicate antifreeze ‘blue’ for cars prior to about 1998. From then on its OAT ‘red’.

What would one use with an aluminium radiator? Iron block, copper heater core and ally radiator?

Fernox would work but I'm sure that Bluecol would also work well.

Roger

Good point I never thought of Fernox! Think it may be worth buying in bulk and repackaging in different containers, adding a bit of a premium and selling it on eBay:ph34r:

I think Bluecol claimes to inhibit corrosion of alloy components so presumably that would include the head?

Not sure that corrosion inhibition is significanlty increased by higher concentrations of antifreeze - frost protection yes but much over 30-40% is probably overkill in most of the UK in terms of frost protection.  Higher levels of antiftreeze don't necessarily cool better, if anything less effectively.

Not sure what's in Fernox, the concern may be interactions with the existing inhibitor package in the antifreeze. Domestic heating systems tend to be filled with tap water rather than antifreeze so limited likelihood of interaction. Not saying it won't work but too many good things (inhbitors) are not always better.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, Charlie D said:

I use a 50% mixture of water and Fernox Alphi-11 in my 3A.
It's mainly used for central heating, so it's an antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor combined.
I don't use Bluecol because we have cats and even a very small ammount of Bluecol can make cats very ill or even kill them if you get a spill and they ingest it.

Only problem is that the Fernox is about 3X the price of Bluecol.
(Still a lot cheaper than vet's bills.)

+1 for Alphi-11. As the corrosion inhibitor in it lasts 20 years or more, it works out loads cheaper than Bluecol. I have no worries about compatibility because I think you get all the same things such as rubber seals, aluminium and solder etc. in CH too.

Cheers, Richard

12 hours ago, Lebro said:

Does the Alphi-11 work as an antifreeze as well then ?

Bob,

Yes.

It is recommended by Rolls Royce for their older cars.

Can’t find the details at the moment  but if you search for “Fernox Rolls Royce” there is a detailed explanation somewhere on why it is so good.

(It's a write up from a New Zealan RR club magazine, page 20)

It’s also won’t harm your pussy.

Charlie

Found it here: https://kda132.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/NZRRB12-4.pdf

The article contains a quote from Fernox: "“It is the properties of the inhibitor which produce the durable characteristics you refer to in respect of Fernox Alphi II. As suppliers to the domestic heating market, we are obliged to use propylene glycol for the reasons of low toxicity you refer to in your article. In the past,ethylene glycol was significantly cheaper than propylene glycol and so found favour for automotive applications. However, the price differential is now much reduced and the safety benefits of propylene glycol should undoubtedly bring it into consideration for more widespread use. “Alphi 11 is used by a number of car enthusiasts as an antifreeze of choice and it is proven by the fact that it has been used for many years without any detrimental effects. It is compatibility with metal and rubbers that is important and not the specific ingredient within the inhibitor/antifreeze blend. While it is important to emphasise that the product was not specifically designed for automotive use, it does substantially surpass the requirements of BS6580 the standard for automotive anti-freeze. “Whilst propylene glycol is less dangerous than ethylene glycol, contact with skin and paint should still be avoided, as should ingestion. We recommend users to refer to the manufacturers product and safety data sheets for more specific information concerning product safety and disposal.”

Seems pretty conclusive to me!

Pete