Threading stainless rod

I need to provide a support for a piece of unbalanced sculpture my daughter made. I have some stainless rod (6mm)  which will do the task nicely but it needs threading on one end to secure to a base. I have some dies of suitable size but the stainless is rather hard - understatement!

Is it practicable to thread stainless or does it need some prep work such as heating first to soften a little? As the loads are insignificant I am considering drilling down into the head of a  bolt and silver soldering the rod into the bolt as an easy option to fit a readymade thread to the bolt.

Is there an easy way to thread stainless?

Alan

There are a number of different specs for stainless. Sounds like you’ve found one of the harder types. You may still be able to cut a decent thread on it by doing it in stages. Make sure that the die is opened right up with the centre screw in the die stock screwed hard in and the other two backed right out. Use plenty of cutting fluid.