Footwell Carpet Backing Boards

Does anyone have any images of the backing boards for the RH and LH footwell side carpets? I only have partial boards so  images will help me form properly shaped replacements. Also, can anyone advise me of what the boards are made of/ suggest what I might use for the replacements?  The remnants of the originals I have appear to be a kind of semi-pliable “plasticky” hardboard (in fact, thinking about it, they may indeed be hardboard that’s been painted and just deteriorated with age) and on an initial search around I can’t find anything similar.

Thank you.

Here is a pic of the templates I used to make those panels.  I actually enlarged and simplified the shapes as shown by the cross-hatched areas.  Original panels were a cross between hardboard and cardboard.  I used a plastic material for the panels.

Ed

DSC04256a.JPG

14 hours ago, ed_h said:

Looking at my pic, I see that I may have the left and right labels reversed.  The slot at far right is for the bonnet release bracket, which is on the left side (for a LHD car).

Ed

Bonnet release is the same side on RHD cars annoyingly!

Stuart.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Bonnet release is the same side on RHD cars annoyingly!

Stuart.

That's interesting. Didn't know that.

I always assumed that the odd double-back of the release cable was because It was moved from the right to the left side for LHD cars.  Maybe the latch mechanism was borrowed from another car where the cable approached from the right side.

Ed

6 minutes ago, ed_h said:

That's interesting. Didn't know that.

I always assumed that the odd double-back of the release cable was because It was moved from the right to the left side for LHD cars.  Maybe the latch mechanism was borrowed from another car where the cable approached from the right side.

Ed

Correct. It was borrowed from another Triumph car with the bonnet pull on the RH side of the car......a TR4 & latterly TR4A.

I guess the moving to LH side was to satisfy requests from where the bulk of sales models went.  That being lhd.

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Correct. It was borrowed from another Triumph car with the bonnet pull on the RH side of the car......a TR4 & latterly TR4A.

I guess the moving to LH side was to satisfy requests from where the bulk of sales models went.  That being lhd.

And also why when restoring a 5 or a 6 I make another bracket for the right side and fit a release there as well, less likely to break as its a nice direct pull.

Stuart.

8 hours ago, stuart said:

And also why when restoring a 5 or a 6 I make another bracket for the right side and fit a release there as well, less likely to break as its a nice direct pull.

Stuart.

Inspired!  Wish I'd thought of that.

Ed

Edited by ed_h
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to round this topic off. Backed by Ed’s advice, I looked at the remnants of the backing boards I have and realised they are identical but handed. I couldn’t find a suitable material to make new boards or suitable carpet (largely as I can’t get to visit the variety of shops I normally would), but was able to buy, from B&Q, 500mm square carpet tiles which are just about the ideal size. I made a template and cut the tiles and trimmed to get an excellent fit. The tiles have the the almost ideal combination of rigidity, flexibility and strength to use without the need for additional backing. I couldn’t get black, other than buying blind, and I want to ensure as close a colour match as possible so they’re on the shopping list for when lockdown is lifted.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

I have fitted one of those safety release things under the driver side and always use that to release bonnet. Keep the one on passengers side as the spare. As Stuart says it’s a pain otherwise.

Paul