I think you have to insert the key and rotate the barrel to line up the spring plunger with the hole. Difficult if you don`t have a key, in which case drill the lock out.

Ralph

Hi John,

Push the original key fully home into the lock, this action with draws in the small brass leaves and allows the barrel to be removed.

Do not turn the key.

Push a scribe into the small hole and it will depress the brass pin. The pin is often just out of sight partially covered by an internal spring.

Whilst still pushing on the scriber gently inwards, pull the barrel out with the key.

Regards, Richard

5 minutes ago, John Reilly said:

Trouble is, I do not have the original key, if I did I would not need the new barrel.Have to get the picks out!

If its the original barrel it will have the key number written on the front of it, new keys are cheap enough  and then you could retain its originality.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-Keys-FA-FS-FP-FK-FR-FT-and-MRN-More-than-10-available/293844347363?hash=item446a7ce9e3:g:ILYAAOSwQ8Ffr8zE

Stuart.