Interior, where to go or what to do?.

So I cut one out of 18swg sheet ali after reading a previous post by Mick, cut out in a single piece, pretty pleased with the fit. I will screw with No6 cs screws so it is removable, sealed when finally fitted of course. If anyone wants a paper template, PM me

Rgds

David

firewall.JPG

57 minutes ago, qkingston said:

So I cut one out of 18swg sheet ali after reading a previous post by Mick, cut out in a single piece, pretty pleased with the fit. I will screw with No6 cs screws so it is removable, sealed when finally fitted of course. If anyone wants a paper template, PM me

Rgds

David

firewall.JPG

Great job David, cutting the panel out in 1 is advanced skills.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Tight area,  but bolt access I think from the boot after removing the fuel tank, the side deck forward extensions from inside the cockpit with the side panels removed. Stuart will have done a few and likely will be along shortly to give a definative answer.

Mick Richards

One of reasons I have made mine removeable, but also I'm doing this in a major rebuild so I can sequence the work to secure the backlight first before finally fitting the firewall

Rgds

David

You access the rear bolts from inside the boot anyway as you really need the rear trim panel fitted first as its a tight fit up under the forward lip of the Surrey frame anyway and with the addition of a firewall it wouldnt be possible to fit after I dont think. Not that easy over the tank but doable with care and the only other fixings on a 4a/5/6 is the front stud which is done from inside anyway before fitting the small trim pieces, on a 4 you would if you have the original forward deck sections need to remove the side quarter trim to get to that nut.

Stuart..

To avoid having to remove the tank, would it be possible to fit a firewall from the cabin side to a TR with the Surrey frame in situ, by making the firewall in two (or more) sections and then pop-rivetting these together once in place? 

Clearly, the sections would need to overlap, so it wouldn't just be a matter of slicing a firewall into two (or more) pieces - unless some overlapping pieces were added to cover the butt joints.

I have no idea whether this is nonsense, so I am hoping that Stuart can give an answer.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

To avoid having to remove the tank, would it be possible to fit a firewall from the cabin side to a TR with the Surrey frame in situ, by making the firewall in two (or more) sections and then pop-rivetting these together once in place? 

Clearly, the sections would need to overlap, so it wouldn't just be a matter of slicing a firewall into two (or more) pieces - unless some overlapping pieces were added to cover the butt joints.

I have no idea whether this is nonsense, so I am hoping that Stuart can give an answer.

Ian Cornish

The problem with trying to do it with the Surrey still attached is the inner lip of the Surrey covers the front lip of the rear deck which is where you need to fix it too, I suppose you might be able to fit some brackets to the top of the firewall that would hold it tight against the front edge of the deck and then slide it in under with a lot of sealer round it and then rivet it down the upright stays and then fit two side wings for over the wheel arches being careful of the wiring loom but I would think it would be very messy and still not really secure enough at the top edge.

For how long it takes to remove the rear section I would just take it off then fit the firewall and the rear trim and then put the Surrey frame back first as last.

Stuart.

31 minutes ago, Lebro said:

That maybe true for a TR4, but not a TR3.

Bob.

I would use rivnuts and machine screws to fix it then so it would be relatively easy to remove, lets face it its not like you would need to take the tank out often.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the Revington “firewall” kit in my TR4A over the winter. I already had the interior in place when I did it, so it was more of a pain to install than if no interior. Still, wasn’t bad at all.

Jim

9FF1AF6A-EBF5-423A-A1C4-2738E0DC1CBD.jpeg