Six Nation Rugby

Farrell has to go, utterly clueless as a leader, a 10 and so out of form.

Eddie has a monumental job to pull this squad back together, they are not even  like the Eric Morecombe sketch , playing all the right notes just in the wrong order, they don’t know the notes let alone the order. 

Iain

Edited by iain

Police in Twickenham, London have launched a major investigation after 15 young and inexperienced men were subject to a terrifying ordeal whilst out for a gentle kick about in the park . One  shocked victim said 'It started in the 1st minute when they took the ball from us and wouldn't give us it back.". Police said the culprits were all Scottish, dressed in blue and showed no regard to the emotional impact on their victims who were  subjected to 80 minutes of physical and mental abuse.  Witnesses are requested to phone Crinestoppers anonymously at the earliest opportunity.

That’s a fair synopsis Tony.

I see Eddie is still defending Farrell today, insisting, he had a poor game and so did some others, but one poor game doesn’t mean he’s over.......has he forgotten the fact that Farrell hasn’t had a good game since the win over New Zealand? I think so. There is a place for  loyalty and but not blindness to the facts.

Iain

Next game will tell all. Either he gets with the programme or Eddie will cast him aside, he seems to freeze in games where the plan has only been practised by the England team ! if opposition have their own plans and implement them - he's scuppered. Still, I'm always grateful after a game and he hasn't bitten the ref on the knees ! he always seems JUST this side of going Tonto, on everybody !

Mick Richards

Keep the faith Iain,....... no need for ‘knee-jerk’ after first game (unless of course, as Mick points out, you are the ref who has just been bitten ;))

Got the following almost after the final whistle.. some folks are pretty quick, l love the banter.... for me, Farrell is at his best when he is playing with such passion at his raggedy edge (but, ice cool kicking)... he is worth his place on being able to get right up the nose of Welshmen like Mick alone :ph34r: and Eddie will continue to do what he does best..... wind up opponents and then ultimately break their hearts.....

5E027C3B-B3B2-44D4-BD08-9AF7B5F56015.jpeg.f6dbbeb1218211daeb25b8b17948ebf5.jpeg

Thank God Eddie has picked  a Fly Half to play against Italy. !!

Most of the 6 Nations have a Proper Stand Off, who is more than likely the best Player too. I hope that Eddie has eventually got the Notion that England's needs to do that too.

Glad to see Big Boys coming back into the pack too, hopefully we will have a Win against the Italians and move on from there.

At least I won't be on the settee this weekend with my Heart pounding and shouting at the Telly  !!  Well I sincerely hope not !!

What a great Game Rugby Union is ...

Conrad.

7 minutes ago, openroad said:

Thank God Eddie has picked  a Fly Half to play against Italy. !!

Most of the 6 Nations have a Proper Stand Off, who is more than likely the best Player too. I hope that Eddie has eventually got the Notion that England's needs to do that too.

+1

What I can't understand is why Eddie found it so difficult to make such an obvious decision.

As for the captaincy, Farrell has shown time and again (e.g. against Scotland last Saturday and against South Africa in the WC final) that he's not capable of thinking on his feet when the game doesn't go to plan, 'Thinking correctly under pressure', was a discipline that Sir Clive Woodward valued highly in his 2003 WC squad, and we know what they achieved. Farrell seems unable to read the game and adapt, and in post match interviews appears like a rabbit in the car headlights. A true captain needs a great deal more mental agility than he displays.

I'm confident England will beat Italy on Saturday, but fear we may make the job seem rather more difficult than the French did last weekend.

Nigel

Great choice of fly half but I fear Farrell at inside centre is unlikely to use our backs to their best. Last week he kicked on at least 3 occasions when we had 4/2 or 5/2 overlaps......that’s just a man out of form. Let’s hope Ford knows where the blockage is and uses him as the decoy :-)

Iain.

Best game of the weekend so far,  shame about the sending off,  when the scores are close it certainly makes a difference. 

Well done Wales and that's from an England supporter. !

It's a great Game to play and to watch,  or should I say just watch these days !

Cheers, Conrad. 

• 2 weeks later...

You don't play the game...you play the ref. If he says it's Sunday...you ask for a hymn sheet, and giving 3 penalties away in the pressure period of the second half ?

Excellent "on clock" time call by Dan Biggar.....catching England napping and later on Kieran Hardy catches 3 or 4 England players asleep and Elliot Daly thinking about what he's going to have for dinner as he walks towards his posts with his BACK towards the play...schoolboy mistake. You've got to stay engaged. 

Thoroughly entertaining match and Wales rode their luck and finished every opportunity they got, that's the touch of champions, I think it's a maybe if Farrell stays in the team, bad discipline is the captains fault.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

It's been tough to watch England so far. 

Some of the top names need to be sidelined for a while, and let the in form players have a go.

Well done to Wales, they played it better , and ran away in the end.

Like i say, it's tough , definitely character building, I'm sure we'll survive ,heheheh. 

Conrad.

Indeed, tough to watch England so far. It's all a bit odd.

From the first game, they have looked out of sorts: off the pace, not playing collectively and with poor execution. The Saracens boys in particular (Itoje excepted) seem to lack edge. The pack looks fragmented. Daly, May and to a lesser extent Watson are not communicating well and seem to lack the confidence to interplay. Billy now has a very exaggerated skip before he goes into a collision which reduces his impact. It was noticeable that when he did not skip on a couple of occasions yesterday, he was more effective in breaking the line. Farrell does not seem to have leadership character amongst the team or with officials. He is no Martin Johnson.

Equally, I don't think this is a particularly impressive Welsh team. Had Ireland been at full strength during their match with them, I doubt that Wales would have won. Yesterday,  I was never really concerned that Wales would seriously threaten England, who played the better attacking rugby on occasions and did look to threaten Wales. Most of Wales' points came as a result of 'errors' by England rather than serious threats or pressure from Wales. Wales took those opportunities well though and deserved to win. 

Looking forward, I am not sure how strong a Lions team will be.

Well, that's how it looks from my armchair...!

Miles

Miles,

Big tip, turn the armchair around to point at the TV... lol.

Itoje certainly had edge...perhaps too much when giving away 5 penalties which contributed to a huge 14 penalty count by the England team when ALL the teams try to keep the penalty count down to single figures. You have to remember a penalty is given against a player or team because they are trying to gain an advantage by...err cheating, so the team is in control of it's own actions.

Admittedly todays rules are a wonderment and the best investment anybody can make when attending a game live is to buy the ref mic earphone sets which allows access to his comments, then you get 3 rows of supporters asking you "what was that for" throughout the game. Truly a game for the cereberal who enjoy a pointy ball and not the sort which bounces predictably.

Mick Richards

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, openroad said:

Good Game at Twickenham,   I reckon we were lucky to win, but we did   !!

Conrad.

A bit more back to basics from England and playing what was in front of them and not sticking to a tactical game (mainly box kicking).
The French second try was a work of art.