Fuel Tank - steel or aluminium?

I’m having problems with the outlet from my tank getting blocked, so rather then use a sealer I would prefer a new one.

Moss are 5 minutes away and have both steel and aluminium in stock so I can collect one on Monday.

so which do I go for Steel or Aluminium?

Nigel

The steel ones are mild steel and will rust from the inside out over time, they are not as durable as the original tanks. 

I bought an aluminium tank from Alicool. Be aware that tanks from the two main suppliers are not made to the correct dimensions (TR3 experience) and are therefore difficult if not impossjble to install correctly. I'm speaking from bad experience.

Rob

The aluiminium is fine but you may want to stiffen the flex in the body work(depending on how you drive it ) . The steel being stiffer is not effected as much. I had a baffle in an aluminium tank pull free of its weld and cause a large hole to appear in the rear of the tank ( I am convinced this was due to flexing at speed). I still use an aluminium tank but have fitted a fire wall plate across the back behind the rear panel, it made a difference in the handling of the car and is not a bad thing to do in any case. I think Revingtons supply a tank with fittings where the tank attaches to body work to help offset movement.

Paul

Edited by Harbottle
25 minutes ago, Nigel A said:

Tank out and full of crud , this had been sucked in and caused the problem.

Nigel

B7B68978-976C-45B0-A219-37E5049DF86E.jpeg

Then clean it the after market tanks will not last 50 years like yours has done also remember alloy tanks and steel fittings don’t mix well 

Hi Nigel,  It might be too late, but now that you have the outlet pipe out you might want to consider a modification that was suggested to me when I was having fuel blockage issues:

By Chris TR4A - I made the outlet pipe so it sticks up into the tank about 4 ins. The top of the pipe is flattened leaving only about 1mm gap and between the top of the pipe, and just above the tank fitting I drilled about 15 holes 4mm dia radially and staggered so there's always plenty of ways for petrol to enter the pipe.

Mark

Hi all

There are issues with both aluminium and mild steel tanks in my experience.

Mild steel tanks rust from the inside out if the car isn’t kept full of fuel and / or left for a long time with out use or a combination of both. The obvious solution is to fill up the tank before you park it and also in my case I put a bag of desiccator down the back and recharge it by drying it out in the oven to refresh it. This works well and 3VC’s original banded steel tank for example is in perfect order as a result.

Aluminium tanks tend to split in various places depending on how high the grade of material used is, how good the welding and fabrication is and how the tank is mounted. you really do need to buy the best one available, otherwise you’ll be buying another in a few years when it splits and leaks.

On top of that how you drive the car is a factor as aluminium tanks can also flex more depending on the thickness of the material used and the design / reinforcement - and any differential in thickness of the material used for the tank and the mounts (ie the mounts can be thicker). I have had this problem on BST82B and had the tank replaced with a stainless steel one. This is not uncommon on other rally cars where the tank is tab mounted and no amount of bobbins or rubber mounts can stop this.

For my money and if you’re not going competing and need either a safety (foam filled) tank or a bigger volume, I’d go for a nice standard mild steel one and keep the car full of fuel when it’s not used, and also put a bag of refreshable desiccator down into the gap below the tank.

regards

Tony

The remaining fuel in the tank has now evaporated and it is all now nice and dry inside. I have stuck the hoover nozzle inside and was surprised at how little muck there actually was and how clean it was.

Have passed Marco’s comments onto my wife and she hasn’t decided what to buy.

I will investigate Mark’s solution at a later date and will definitely follow Tony’s advice and keep the tank full and acquire some desicator.

Look forward to seeing 5VC one day and reading about the repatriation and rebuild.

Nigel