Hood left on with hardtop

Hi people ........

as I’m now underway with TR6 restoration I have a question regarding hood / hard top .

Im going to be replacing the current hood and I have been well recommended to Don Hoods .I also have acquired a hardtop and want to know if the new hood can remain ( folded) when hardtop is put on or is it necessary to remove hood and frame complete. If it does remain which supplier offers this type of hood . 
would appreciate any advice as to hood suppliers etc .

thanks

Nigel 

It can be done and a hood cover that was designed to work with the fitted hardtop also existed. One for sale on Ebay now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR-6-HOOD-STOWAGE-COVER-DUEL-PURPOSE-With-Hard-Top-Fitted-N-L-A/254854868917?hash=item3b5688afb5:g:M38AAOSww6lfy7l5

See photo text for the details (sorry, forum photos won't rotate for me).

Hood Cover with Hardtop Fitted.jpg

Hi Bob , thanks for reply ...so I want hood and cover to match as well so it sounds like when  I’m ordering the hood just to specify suitable cover to use with hardtop......cheers N

You also need to check you have the necessary studs on the hardtop rail that the cover would fasten on to, I'm not sure how you would go about fitting these without removing the glass, something to think about. I have the necessary hood cover, I forgot to fit the studs when I refurbed the hardtop!

1 hour ago, OldBob said:

Take a close look at the Ebay listing for the hood cover - unless your supplier has a pattern or one to copy I doubt they will get it right.

Cheers Bob ... point noted !

36 minutes ago, iani said:

You also need to check you have the necessary studs on the hardtop rail that the cover would fasten on to, I'm not sure how you would go about fitting these without removing the glass, something to think about. I have the necessary hood cover, I forgot to fit the studs when I refurbed the hardtop!

Hi Ian ....thanks for advice ....will look at hardtop and discuss with hood supplier when ordering ..

cheers ....N

That combination hood frame bag and 1/4 tonneau is a very clever and complicated item.   You can use as a 1/4 tonneau when the soft roof is folded down.   Or you can wrap it around the soft top and frame assy by turning it inside out and fit the whole lot inside the car when the hard top is on.

Will be made of ‘Everflex’ material if original.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I still cannot see the reason to leave the soft top on when the hard top is fitted. 

For the sake of removing 4 extra screws, take it off and at least give yourself extra in car storage 

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

That combination hood frame bag and 1/4 tonneau is a very clever and complicated item.   You can use as a 1/4 tonneau when the soft roof is folded down.   Or you can wrap it around the soft top and frame assy by turning it inside out and fit the whole lot inside the car when the hard top is on.

Will be made of ‘Everflex’ material if original.

Peter W

Cheers Peter .... will go into carefully when buying hood and hood cover ( planning on mohair ....Don hoods ) 

13 hours ago, TR relived said:

Hi Lee , if that’s the case ( i’d forgotten or didn’t realise ) and it is only 4 screws then I’d be inclined to agree with you

cheers ......N

If you do dont forget to put the screws back as otherwise the captive plates will rattle and really annoy.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

If you do dont forget to put the screws back as otherwise the captive plates will rattle and really annoy.

Stuart.

Stuart, the hard top securing post screws to that plate.