Girling Master cylinder - plastic tie

Ive had my master cylinder refurbished by Past Parts but it hasnt been plated so i want to protect it from corrosion by painting it. My question is how do i remove the plastic tie without cutting it off - ive tried to stretch it over the bulges but it wont go, as i would like to keep this for authenticity- its not like a tie wrap so im struggling to see how it can be removed without cutting. Anyone got any ideas please?

IMG_20210121_105711907.jpg

Have you tried heating it with a hair dryer to make the rubber more flexible?

Think this is made of thermosetting material so probably wont stretch with heat. Recently did this, cut somewhere between the "numbers" and then overlap the ends together slightly and glue with suitable adhesive ie 2 part epoxy, evostick or maybe even crimp a small flat ferrule.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

Why save it, it's just a redundant piece of plastic?

Were they originally there on the TR6? Or is it a reference tag put on by past parts or whoever does their renovations.

It was on the originals.

Stuart.

38 minutes ago, Mark69 said:

When past parts refurbished mine it came back plated.4E06097B-FCFD-4804-AD8E-3FEAE5451659.thumb.jpeg.fd3872a9953641175f36975996cb1eab.jpeg

Yes just had mine back from Past Parts fully refurbished, plated yes, but you have to ask for it, small fee I believe and adds a few days turnaround. Choice of two finishes, very good service and now now leaks.

C/

Interestingly i did ask if it would be plated and told yes it will be - for the price of nearly two new master cylinders it should be!- so i received it back very quickly as shown and it hadnt been done but i excused this as being due to covid and perhaps the platers were shut- to pay for postage twice again im not sure i want to send it back so resigned to spray it myself- but i will be having a chat with Past Parts next Monday

14 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Interestingly i did ask if it would be plated and told yes it will be - for the price of nearly two new master cylinders it should be!- so i received it back very quickly as shown and it hadnt been done but i excused this as being due to covid and perhaps the platers were shut- to pay for postage twice again im not sure i want to send it back so resigned to spray it myself- but i will be having a chat with Past Parts next Monday

Michael that's interesting. When I inquired about my brake MC the make and if there was a red tag. I quoted the number on the red tag and they said it was a Girling. They definitely said that I had a choice of plating or not and said it would add a week to the turnaround time if I did,as they sometime have to wait till they have enough to send.

Colin.

• 2 weeks later...