Lifting on a Trolley Jack

I have a dozen or so 9"×3" timbers that are about 2 foot long that I use to support the car. I put a stack of say 3 under each tyre if I am going to leave the car up in the air for a day or 2 rather then use axial stands. 2 sets of ramps would also do the job

George 

4 hours ago, Paulfc said:

Hi Mick,

Would  you be good enough to clarify what you mean by “ .... or jackstands placed under the hubs (bolted onto the wheelstuds)“. 

Thanks

I made up some welded angles with cut out centres and holes drilled in at PCD dimensions for the studs, and welded them to tube to drop into axle stands. Then secure the wheel studs through the holes, makes it secure so it doesn't fall off the stands. See photo which has a TR using a jig (not mine) with the hubs secured onto it the same way.

1846454139_TR6onJighubs.jpeg.34cbf4a7b3357b28820174d2dcf310c1.jpeg

1922705781_TR6Hubsecure.thumb.jpeg.2425f51c0e59d5094e75315dfa3d8f53.jpeg

Wish I'd thought of the caravan stands, easier and cheap.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
  • 3 weeks later...

What is the height of the underside of the TR4a (on 165/80R15 tyres) to the floor, front cross member and the underside of the differential please - just looking into what maximum height when retracted a low profile trolley jack should have? Thanks - 

Mark

18 hours ago, CP26309 said:

I was always under the impression it was unwise to jack the car up under the diff as it put unnecessary strain on the mounts?

Not really, if it is then the mounts need replacing/re-enforcing.

Stuart.